Saturday 30 April 2011

Semicentennial plus one

Well, I'm not 50 any more. Just another day, but one that saw the 'age' counter tick over to the next integer. And what was I doing on this auspicious occasion? A twelve hour day shift (well, to be strictly accurate ten and a half, because I got away early by finishing on a break). What a thrilling life I lead. Now I'm back at base, having indulged myself with a thoroughly unhealthy kebab by way of my evening meal, which I'm now washing down with some nice Chilean Chardonnay - I'm on late shift tomorrow, so I've got plenty of time to recover.
Apart from the alcoholic beverage, I had another big treat this evening, and an unexpected one at that. I spoke to my brother, and it transpired that a few mutual friends were at his place for a meal, including easily my closest female friend (apart from those I'm related to by marriage or blood), who haven't I seen for a couple of years, but who I got to have a longish chat with this evening. She's absolutely lovely and special, and I'm very, very fond of her, in a totally non-sexual way (she's married to another of my closest friends), and I think she feels somewhat the same way towards me - her first words on picking the phone up this evening were 'Hello, sweetie', which sums up our relationship pretty well. She had a serious brush with breast cancer about five years ago, which was dreadfully upsetting for all of us (especially her family, of course), but she really seems to be back to her old self now, which is fantastic news. As my slightly gushing tone probably implies, having spoken to her has been a really nice birthday present, and one I'm very pleased to have received.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sammy. It's nice to see you in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    Thank you. It's nice to have 'good mood' things happening, I can assure you.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joe
    Thank you - older, but no wiser, but what should anyone expect!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Sammy! I must say, older is always better! HAHAHA

    It's GREAT you got to talk to an old, close friend! Seems to be a lot of that going on this weekend with various bloggers. Well cool.

    Enjoy the wine. I'm indulging in some locally brewed ale, a couple of nice India Pale Ales from Legend, a quite good local microbrewery.

    Also, enjoy your day! It's YOUR BIRTHDAY!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jay
    Thank you - it wasn't too bad a day, and speaking to my friend was just the icing on the cake. It's just a shame I was away from my family, but hopefully I'll be able to make up for that next weekend.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, Sammy

    I'm back from Germany, and catching up with blog-land, so this is a belated Happy Birthday. I'm glad you had a good day.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mark
    Thank you - I hope your holiday went well.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete