Thursday 28 April 2011

Seething, and ways of getting over it

I had another of those periodic moments at work this morning where I came within an ace of outing myself simply because of the hateful, bigoted rubbish that was being spouted by some of my colleagues. It started by someone having a dig at one of this morning's crew who happens to be a Fulham fan, over the Michael Jackson statue that's been put up outside their ground. That led on to all the usual suspects being aired - Gary Glitter, Pete Townsend, Chris Langham, and so ad nauseum, and what these deep thinkers, who can't see past the front page screams of 'Paedo' from the tabloids, consider should be done to such people. It was all I could do to restrain myself from telling them to stop talking out of their collective arse about subjects they don't have the least understanding of. Needless to say, the usual nonsensical non sequitur about all child molesters being gay was trotted out as well, just to underline the ignorance of these people - the thought doesn't seem to have crossed their tiny minds that if that was the case, why are girls abused? And that, of course, is quite apart from all known research showing that the vast majority of abusers are straight men. I was absolutely fuming, for hours, until the job intervened, and had me busy enough for most of the second half of the shift that I didn't have time to think about anything much else.
The second part of the repair of my temper was down to all of you good people who are kind enough to visit my little corner of cyberspace. Some time between 10:00 last night, and half an hour or so ago, this blog - or actually, this incarnation of this blog, relaunched after the security issue I had with 'Semicentennial' last summer - passed 5000 page views. Given that I'm still amazed at times that anyone at all would want to read my ramblings, to pass such a milestone is very gratifying, and I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone who visits for your time and trouble in doing so. You make it all worthwhile.

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I get so tired of that crap. I will say my current job is very good about it, there is no putting anyone (except our stupid users) down. You probably saw the remark that was made at my last family gathering, and I was shocked at my family's complete and total condemnation - by simply shutting up and staring at him!

    Glad you hit the milestone of 5000! That's coolness! Keep blogging, we'll keep reading.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Te urge, in those situations, to just throw out a big STFU is very strong, but, ultimately, I have to try and work with these people. Maybe I'll do it as my parting shot as and when I'm ready to move on!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete