Thursday 21 April 2011

Home from home?

Because of the dramas of the past week, tonight will be the first time I'll stay in my new permanent base, a few stops down the line from where I work, and over the Greater London boundary into Surrey. All very 'des res' and leafily suburban - I'd have to do pretty well on the lottery if I wanted to buy a house around here, not that I have the slightest ambition to do any such thing. My room itself is fine, not en suite, but otherwise ideal, especially as I'm getting it at a discounted rate, and no extra bills to pay, utilities and so on being included in the price.
I'm going to be seeing a good deal of the place in the immediate future as well - unless something unforeseen happens, it's going to be a fortnight before I next go home, because I've only got 2 days off in that time, and each time, I'll be on early shift the next day, so it really isn't worth doing a 450 mile round trip, costing somewhere around £60, to spend half a day at home. It will be the longest I've been apart from my wife since I met her and my daughter in her whole life. I hope this is all going to be worth it.
I'm not quite sure where the post I put up in the early hours of this morning came from - I wasn't depressed at all, but it just seemed to be something I needed to say. Hindsight cures nothing, but it might be nice if it gave someone pause for thought and stopped them getting into the kind of tangled web I've woven for myself. Not especially likely, given the limited readership of my blog, but you never know.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad you've found a nice place to live there, convenient to where you work. That will go a long way toward making you feel better about things I'm sure. I hope these next two weeks will be routine with no more surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    Thanks - I'll second all of that! I've had enough excitement in my life to last for some considerable time.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Sammy

    Best of luck with the new accommodation, and for a calm, routine fortnight - I would guess that much of it will be quieter than normal, given the two four-day weekends.

    On which note, I should say that I'm going to be away from home too, for the next ten days, in my case on holiday. I'm hoping to maintain some sort of contact via e-mail, but I may be rather quiet until early May.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the wonderful sound of contentment! Hope things stay calm and collected for the next 2 weeks.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mark
    First shift down without incident, I'm pleased to say. Have a great holiday.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jay
    More contented than this time last week, at least! Long may it continue, if I might say so myself!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete