Tuesday 19 April 2011

Was any of it really necessary?

Back home after an 11 hour, 10 minute round trip for a 20 minute interview. Not wishing to keep anyone in suspense for longer than necessary, I've been reinstated, I'll be back at work on Thursday morning.
Now to fill in the back story a bit. It really looked as though it was going to be one of those days from the outset - a few of the London trains stop at our little local station, and the timings of my trip meant I could catch one of them this morning. It left exactly on time, went the few miles to our nearest mainline station, arrived on time - and then sat there for over half an hour with a technical fault. It was eventually fixed, but the half hour delay was never recovered, so my plans at the destination end had to change - I basically had to go into Central London and back out again, rather than being able to change, as originally planned, onto a suburban service at Reading. I arrived at the offices where I was scheduled to meet my manager about 15 minutes later than I anticipated, but I was still 10 minutes early. That's when the frustration began to be ratcheted up again - my manager had been in a meeting which had overrun somewhat, so he showed me into a vacant office, and then disappeared for a quarter of an hour while he made himself some tea, leaving me stewing, and eventually close to fuming, as all my rushing about to be punctual seemed to count for nothing. When he eventually reappeared, the interview, such as it was, consisted of him handing me a letter formally confirming my suspension, asking me about three questions about what had happened, then me spending 5 or 10 minutes ranting at him about how I felt I'd been treated, and that I had no intention of supervising any more trainees for the foreseeable future, and then him saying he 'wanted me back at work by the end of the week', but in the next breath saying that he had to discuss the matter with his line manager before any decision could be made, so I left to head back to Paddington still not knowing my fate. I felt like kicking the furniture, at the very least. However, I was finally put out of misery about an hour and a half later, as I was sitting on the train home waiting for it to leave, when he told me to report to his office at 7:00 on Thursday morning, for a 'quick chat', after which I'll return to a normal early shift.
When I rang my wife to tell her the news, she said 'Are you pleased?'. Good question. There's still more than a little temptation to tell the company to stuff the job up their arse, but I'm not liable to be able to walk into another job which pays as well if I did, so discretion will doubtless be the better part of valour, at least for a while.
I still can't fathom why today's little drama couldn't have been played out by phone and/or post, or, indeed, why I was suspended in the first place for something I had no control over, but I guess I would say that, wouldn't I?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

14 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    I'm glad to hear it's good news, or at least the best that might be expected, albeit requiring a long and frustrating day.

    I guess your manager is "doing it by the book", whether there's an actual written procedure for this situation, or whether it's what he thinks the procedure is. Unfortunately, I would guess the procedure is written assuming the suspended employee lives within easy travel distance, rather than several hundred miles away. If he felt confident in his authority, I suspect he would have sorted it out by phone and post.

    If you have any contact with your manager's manager, would it be worth explaining just how you feel about all this, and suggesting that your manager be encouraged to be a bit more pragmatic about how he works?

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    I've had a grand total of about 30 seconds contact with the second line of management since I started this job last September, so I'm not expecting to be discussing my case with him any time soon.
    In these litigious times, I;m sure today's farce was driven by audit trails and the like, the relevant procedure needing to be done and to be seen to be done, but, as you say, the 'right' result as been the ultimate outcome, so I suppose I shouldn't complain - I just can't help myself!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you still have a job. In these times that's a very significant thing. I hope things are totally back to normal when you report there again on Thursday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brian
    Yes, it certainly could have been worse. I hope, along with you, that this has just been a hiccup that I can now put behind me.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it all worked out, Sammy. It just seems that some entities insist on making a simple task a huge thing. Mountains out of molehills. In any case, I wonder if there is a way to appeal the suspension, since it is clear there was no reason for it.

    Happy days, even with all the crap thrown in!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jay
    The letter I got today stated that the suspension wasn't a disciplinary issue in itself, so I'm hoping that my record might still be clean - I'll clarify that when I see my 'glorious leader' again on Thursday.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wahoo!!!

    I'm so glad this has worked out. And, you showed a great deal getting there on time...trust me, it counted! Sammy, I'm so happy for you!

    hugs;
    randy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the first law of large organisations: cover thy arse. Be seen to have taken appropriate action in a timely fashion. It's always the poor bugger at the bottom of the food chain who wears it. I'm assuming they sacked the guy who actually stuffed up?

    I've got doctors ranting at me about my blood pressure, and I know it is the stress of things like this which causes it. So when the next incompetent makes our lives a misery: count to three... take a deep breath... relax... picture something peaceful... verdant fields, cute boys, whatever... let it all pass you by. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Randy
    I'm relieved that the uncertainty has been dispelled, although, as I said in the post, whether I'm 'pleased' is a bit of an open question. Thanks for your support.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Billy
    I don't know what's going on with my erstwhile trainee - he's on (pre-arranged) annual leave at the moment - although, to be frank, I don't really care that much. I doubt that he'll be sacked, ultimately, probably given some sort of retraining instead.
    You're right about the 'crap flowing downhill' adage - I had the misfortune to hold a junior management position myself a few years ago, where my main function seemed to be to act as universal scapegoat for those more elevated in the hierarchy - never again, I'm more than happy to be back as a 'foot soldier'!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray!

    Have a quiet drink with you know who and relax, will you?

    No more ranting and moaning. Just get on with it.

    Everyone at work (and at home) will love you all the more. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Micky
    Hopefully this marks a move into more placid waters. I'll certainly have time to reflect - it looks like I'll be away from home for a fortnight from later today, much of which, outside work, will doubtless be spent on my own. A good chance for some calm, even if many of my problems will only be out of mind by being out of sight.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear things eventually got solved. But I agree with you, that sort of reception is so disrespectful.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Daniel
    I'm pleased to have been vindicated, at least as I see it. I suppose I should keep the positive outcome in mind, and not get too wound up about the surrounding circumstances.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete