Tuesday 26 April 2011

It was a bit embarrassing, wasn't it?

Last night's post, that is. It was how I was feeling at the time, and I while suppose I could just delete it, people have been kind enough to take the time to comment, so it would be disrespectful to them to consign their words to the cyber-dustbin of history. I don't often get quite as messed up as that, especially about things I can't change. Just frustration, I guess, better that it comes out here rather than in any way that could hurt anyone in the real world.
I hope there's a bit of embarrassment amongst some of our technical people, too - they've been installing new equipment over the past few weeks, and spent the whole of the long Bank Holiday weekend testing it with a view to it being fully commissioned in the early hours of this morning, but when I got into work at 6:45 this morning, despite the work overrunning by two and a half hours, half the stuff didn't work at all, and after about four hours, one of the bits that had been working up to that point failed as well. Nothing dangerous, but it all slows the job down and makes unnecessary extra work for the 'poor bloody infantry' like me. 'We have the technology', as the saying goes. Yeah....but sadly it doesn't work!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. The previous government had a lot of experience of massive computer projects which didn't quite cut the mustard, or whatever the expression is.

    It's best not to work oneself up into a lather too often on the subject of having a boy. But then you know that, don't you? It's just not worth the disastrous carry-on that would erupt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds SOOOOO familiar. We have a large "learning management system". We spend hours researching every dang bug fix, feature addition, and upgrade. Then it's all tested in a test environment, then it's put into production and tested again. Then we turn it loose to the world, and invariably, it falls flat on its face. And all of us dogfaces spend the day trying to fend off the attackers (users) and reassure them that it will return (one day).
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Micky
    The equipment being installed wasn't even all that sophisticated, but it still doesn't work, and won't, fully, for another fortnight, as I learnt this morning. I'm tempted to put it down to the joys of privatisation and the way my industry has been fragmented as a result, but that's getting 'a bit political', to coin a phrase.
    I think the worth of any risky undertaking is in the eye of the beholder - given the possibility of being involved consensually with a boy, even in the face of the likelihood of deleterious consequences for me, I might be inclined towards doing the 'wrong' thing. Having said that, the chances of my ever having to make that choice are virtually zero, so it's all academic. So, yes, I'll agree that there's no point in getting screwed up about it, or, at least, no point in broadcasting my frustration when it won't change anything.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    What makes the shambles of the last couple of days even more frustrating than it might otherwise be is that we, as operators in a safety-critical environment, work in close to a 'zero-tolerance of error' regime, whereas the technicians seem to be able to get away with murder. I'm sure they'd see it differently, though.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete