Monday 22 August 2011

Like wading through treacle

I'm going to try and be rational here, but I've got the feeling that this is going to be a difficult post to write. I tried yesterday evening, but I struggled to make any sense, even to myself, perhaps feeling the after effects of too much travelling and too little sleep on top of everything else, so I've deleted that draft, and I'm going to make another attempt, both to sum up how I feel now, and to try and answer some of the comments people have kindly left on the various posts I've written in the last couple of days.
The place in my life where I find myself just now isn't something that's appeared suddenly out of the proverbial 'clear blue sky'. It is, as far as I can assess from the inside, a result of the steady accumulation of pressure from various directions over several years. More or less everyone has issues in their lives which they have to deal with - I guess there might be a lucky few who are totally happy with everything, all the time, but I would imagine such people are pretty thin on the ground - and I make no claim that I should be entitled to a trouble-free life. Many of my problems are self-inflicted, too, the result of poor decisions I've made in my life, exacerbated by what I would claim is a more than fair share of bad luck, particularly in housing and financial matters. Again, most people's lives are characterised by a series of interconnected decisions, about, for example, what you choose to do for a living, where you live, who you share your life with, what your aspirations are. The background to those decisions might include who you feel you are, what your capabilities are, what your preferences are. Judging from a sample of one, i.e. myself, if the background and the decisions you make as result of that background are too far out of kilter, the tensions that arise will eventually lead to a situation where either things break, or you live in a constant state of expectation of that kind of breakdown. I think that latter case is where I find myself at the moment. To be as low as I have been in recent days, I would have expected some major disaster to have befallen me, but no such big incident has taken place. I've been at home for most of the last week and a half, much of that time has been pretty relaxed, no new problems have reared their heads. But still, I've found myself slipping lower and lower, to the point over the weekend where I've seriously wondered what the point is to it all. The human instinct for survival is a strong one and it takes a pretty strong disconnection from your 'normal' life situation, either physical or mental, I believe, to overcome it, and, being as dispassionate as I can, I'll admit I haven't been that close to overcoming it myself in recent days. I can, though, envisage a set of circumstances, not too far removed from where I am now, where I really might struggle to convince myself to carry on.
I know I've written about this next element a good deal, probably too much, in the history of my blog, but it is, in some ways, the raison d'être for my presence in cyberspace, and that's the fundamental difference between my personal, emotional circumstances, and who and what I 'really' am, of what I would choose for myself in some mythical, ideal world, and the oceans of frustration I suffer as a result. In this area, as in many others, I know I'm far from being unique. There are, I have no doubt, myriad gay men and lesbian women who have, through the pressures and expectations of society, family and even from within themselves, decided that they have to suppress what they really want, their real selves, to be able to live anything resembling a 'normal' life. It's a sad indictment of modern society that people should have to live their lives in hiding to be accepted, and while, as Micky said in his comment, things are easier, certainly in the UK, for gays to be themselves than it ever has been (but still not that easy, given the sort of bigoted attitudes I encounter on an almost daily basis at work), there are certain types of person who are still way beyond the pale. And I, of course, have the misfortune to be one of those people. Even many of those who are relatively tolerant of gays, indeed, even many gay people themselves, hate boylovers with an intensity that makes even rational discussion of the issue impossible. I know, because I'm married to someone who falls into that category, an intelligent, compassionate, people-oriented woman who had a number of gay friends in her nursing days, but who can't read one of the deluge of 'paedo' stories with which the British press seems to be awash without some epithet like 'bastards' passing her lips. I don't, for a moment, condone anyone who forces another, child or adult, into unwanted sexual contact, and what I'm going to say next will probably just be seen as my trying to defend the indefensible, but I don't believe that any and every sexual interaction between an 'adult' and a 'child' is necessarily damaging, if there is consent. I know what the law says, and society reinforces, that 15 years 364 days makes you a 'paedophile', whereas the next day, everything is miraculously different, but I'm afraid that I just don't believe it. The realities of my situation are, though, that because I am attracted to those law and social mores say should be sacrosanct, I have to spend my whole life pretending to something, someone, I'm just not. And that dichotomy, that pretence is the biggest single issue in making my life as difficult to bear as it has become. Tony left a comment to the effect that honesty is the best way to go, and, in many ways, I agree with that assessment, but the problem is that for me to be honest, either with those closest to me (with the exception of my daughter, who does know the truth) or the world at large would take more courage than I possess. That's really been the problem, always, going right back to when I first realised I was 'different' to my peers, when I was in my early teens. Even admitting it, properly and fully, to myself took about 35 years, and didn't really come about until I came to terms with the fact that I'd fallen in love, at something like 48 years of age, with an 11 or 12 year old boy. Not that I did anything about it, again because of that fear, the fear of exposure, the fear of losing all the trappings of a 'normal' life - I couldn't even bring myself to speak to him, but just how much he came to mean to me, even at a distance, as it were, was underlined by the ill-conceived trip to my former workplace last week. I should have known how difficult it would be, whether I'd seen him, or whether, as was the case, I didn't, but I couldn't help myself, and I think that trip was the initial trigger for what became such a painful weekend for me. In my calmer times, I can look at my sexuality rationally and say that I pretty much know I'm never going to be able to become involved in the sort of relationship I most want, for all sorts of reasons, but that knowledge can't stop the wanting, can't change who I am, can't make me anything other than the boylover who is me. As I said in a blog post a few months back, that word 'never' is a very, very scary one for me. When I'm down, and that word comes into my mind, that's when I really struggle. Again, without wanting to seem to be wallowing in self-pity, if you accept that you're never going to get what you most desire, under any circumstances, why bother, really, to carry on? It could be said, and has been by some of you who comment, that there are other things I could pursue that could act as a 'displacement activity', a 'consolation prize', as I might see it, and it's hard to argue rationally that such suggestions are wrong, except to say that I know what's in my head, I know what I want, and sometimes, I even come close to knowing why, and, by the same token, I know that the consolation prize wouldn't console, because the knowledge of what I really want would always be there, implacable.
I've got a feeling that this is starting to ramble somewhat, so I think I'll draw it to a close. What I would like to do, though, is to thank everyone who's read my blog in recent days for your patience, and, in particular, those who have taken the time and trouble to try and help me with their comments and feedback. I value your support and friendship a great deal, and I think that I can find things here in Blogland that are inaccessible in 'real life', whatever that cipher means. Thank you all very much.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

8 comments:

  1. I understand the "never" part. And I hope the goodness you do have in your life with your wife and daughter will give you reason to go on, no matter what.

    Oh, and I love treacle cake! The Angarrack Inn makes a wonderful one! (and the 14 year old server was quite cute and probably shat his pants when I left him a fiver as a tip!)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we all sometimes end up at what feels like a dead end of our presence. It's then we just have to show faith and keep on eye on the (few) bright beacons there actually are in life. Take care!

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay & Daniel
    I'm slowly emerging from the miasma of the weekend, I think, although I'm far from being on Cloud Nine. I'll keep on keeping on, no doubt, because that's what people do, usually, anyway. Thank you for your support, as ever.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried to explain why I don't subscribe to 'never'. I think that so much has changed for the better for the GLBT community in the last 50 years (not to say for women and for many of our ethnic minorities too).

    I know that there are still many people who hate us (and other groups to which they don't personally belong) but in the current climate Pete and I find that being open about our sexual orientation and our relationship means that people can see us, they get used to seeing us around and we just don't get any sort of open hostility or anti-gay comments or anything.

    Are we just so untypically lucky? No. We know several gay couples (and some single gay people too) and maybe because they too are pretty open and honest about being gay, they don't report anti-gay sentiments, threats or even comments in their everyday lives either.

    One of my friends works, as I did for a while, on the railway - I told my manager I was gay fifteen years ago and so did he. We had some comments from a few people but the majority soon told them to shut up.

    When my friend and his lover had their Civil Partnership last year Pete and I were there, together with several other of his friends who are now in CPs. There were also a fair number of his colleagues from the railway - and, frankly - they were so pleased to see him finally getting hitched and they didn't seem to give a Liverpublian hoot for the fact that it was to another guy.

    I'm only thinking that if people at your place of work make anti-gay comments and jokes then it simply needs for one or more gay person to 'come out' to put them in their place and stop it all. To do otherwise and they, and your employer, would be breaking the law and the penalties for companies and organisations who practice or even allow discrimination or sexual bullying, are getting more and more severe.

    Sorry - but I just don't accept that it's necessary for anyone in the UK to put up with anti-gay crap any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Micky
    What you say is all completely unarguable - but try substituting 'boylover' for 'gay' and then run through the scenario again. I've said before, and I like to think that it's not just lip-service, that if my issue was 'just' being gay, I would come out, but, as far as I can see, being 'out' as a boylover is a completely untenable position, certainly in any milieu that I've ever come across. I'm certainly not brave enough to put myself out there as a test case.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see lots of reasons to do with your family that you might not want to even come out as being gay. But it does occur to me that you would at least have less of the anti-gay stuff at work if you did that and stuck to your guns.

    I know it's not your only fight - but I surely you'd agree that it is one of them - and that it would make a substantial improvement in your day to day experience of life if they buttoned their lips a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Micky
    I have tried to make a few telling comments in answer to some of the more egregious nonsense I have to listen to, but, given that I expect to have remain in my current workplace for some time yet, the 'cons' of outing myself haven't yet outweighed the 'pros'. There have been occasions when I've come within an ace of saying something unequivocal, though - I posted a few months back about how I spent nearly a whole shift absolutely seething about something particularly unpleasant that had been said - and I wouldn't discount the possibility of someone goading me to the extent that I won't be able to contain myself. And if that happened, it would be interesting, to say the least, to see how people reacted.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should read 'the "pros" haven't outweighed the "cons"'. I've been up since 5:00 this morning, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete