Saturday 27 August 2011

You might think they'd have known better

Another little snippet from my train journey back from work earlier. I was sitting just in front of a group of teenage girls of Asian extraction. Two of them came out with the benighted 'That's so gay' remark in quick succession. For a few seconds, I was sorely tempted to turn to them and say something along the lines of 'That's so Paki', not because I'm racist in the slightest, but just to highlight their casual bigotry. Coming from the community that they do, I'm sure they've suffered more than their fair share of racism, which you might have hoped would have, at least, made them aware of the consequences of intolerance. You hope in vain, it seems.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. If people have at least two brain cells then they can often appreciate some of the arguments about discrimination and bigotry.

    I tend to ignore the 'that's so gay' comment but often balk at 's/he's so gay' but that's coz I don't lisp, don't (often) wave my hands about and NEVER say 'Ooh ducky!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Micky
    It's not having the brain cells that's the issue, as I see it, it's whether you bother to use them in any meaningful way.
    I'm not a great fan of high camp myself, but I wouldn't denigrate someone just for that reason, not least because it doesn't always equate to being gay. Of the people I've worked with over the years, one of those who most would have picked out of a hypothetical 'identity parade' as a 'bit of a queen' was actually straight, and father of a couple of teenage sons. The dangers of stereotyping, again.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying something as a stranger will probably achieve nothing except make a scene.

    In class it is tricky. If you simply prohibit it like bad language, all it becomes is an issue of power and control and they will learn not to say it in your hearing.

    The same goes for responses based on it being discriminatory and bigotted. "But I don't mean it like that, sir" or "No-one in here is offended by it". Yeah right, if only you knew. You end up just being seen as giving a moral lecture from the other side of the generation gap.

    Now, to the comment like "that book is so gay", I prefer the feigned ignorance of "Really? I didn't notice the men having sex with each other". They can't really challenge that without coming across as a homophobe. There's just a chance that it might make them think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Billy
    I realised well before putting my mouth in gear that reacting yesterday wouldn't have achieved anything, as you suggest. Odd, though, isn't it, that those who suffer discrimination discriminate against others so casually. That old chestnut 'human nature', I guess.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete