Wednesday 17 August 2011

Pyrotechnics

My daughter should have an interesting evening - she's gone off to watch the National Fireworks Championships with some of her schoolfriends. I took her there, but, luckily, her friend's dad is giving her a lift home, so, unless something unforeseen happens, we won't have to go and rescue her at some benighted hour. Interesting in another way, too - although she's going to be out until quite late, probably after 11:00, my wife has been surprisingly relaxed about the scenario. My daughter is in a group, and there is at least one set of parents kicking about, but it looks as though my wife is slowly starting to come to better terms with the fact that the girl is growing up, and will be doing more independent things as time goes on. I'm not complacent about her safety, by any means, but I am a bit more laid back about 'loosening the apron strings', I'd like to think.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    I hadn't realised there was such a thing as the National Firework Championships. I'm not sure how one might go about judging such a competition, but it might be fun to try! I hope your daughter enjoys herself, and doesn't come back too deafened and dazzled...

    It's good that you feel able to "loosen the apron strings": judging by what you've said previously, your daughter sounds pretty level-headed.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    She might come back with ears ringing - I've heard some of the bangs from here, and we're several miles away!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could see those championships! WOOHOO!!! I love blowing stuff up and have almost enough pyro here to put the house in orbit.

    Good on you for loosening the strings some. It's not easy, but she'll be a better person for gaining some self-confidence and responsibility earlier rather than later.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    My daughter enjoyed herself, and got back safely. It is a difficult balance between protecting your children, and stifling them, but, ultimately, my daughter will have to look after herself, so, as you say, giving her the opportunity to be more independent is an essential life lesson.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. The contestants have to make the fireworks do they? As well as set them off?

    We have nothing at all like that in Derbyshire either, as far as I know.

    Still into sheep shagging here, of course - although we have to wait for the darker evenings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    As far as I know, it's the various manufacturers and professional pyrotechnicians who take part - my daughter can certainly attest to how loud it was, anyway!
    Plenty of sheep round here, too, although what nocturnal activities they indulge in, I wouldn't know....!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete