Saturday 13 August 2011

Why does it always have to be such hard work?

I'm moaning again, I'm afraid. Even though she's 250-odd miles away, it seems that my wife still can't take anything I say at face value, even when the subject really shouldn't be in the slightest bit controversial. When she rang a short while ago, amongst catching up on news of the day (not much at this end, my daughter and I have had a lazy day, using the excuse, if we need one, of not very good weather to gratuitously slob around, for the most part), she asked me to look up some train times for her to travel back tomorrow. There are regular through services from her home town to our local mainline station, so I concentrated on those but, given that it's Sunday tomorrow, the first direct service doesn't leave until late morning. So she asked me if there was an earlier train she could get by changing at Birmingham, the main Midlands rail 'hub'. There wasn't. The only way she could get home sooner than the first through train was a very convoluted route, starting off by heading in the wrong direction, and leaving nearly two and a half hours earlier to arrive back an hour earlier. Rather than accepting what I'd said, though (and I can, on this topic, be believed - railway timetables are not something I struggle with, for reasons I'm not prepared to elaborate on), she just repeated the question. The answer was the same, of course. No, there isn't an earlier option via Birmingham. Why would I say there wasn't if there was? 'I tell you the truth, and you don't believe me', as The Jesus & Mary Chain memorably said. (Here). And then she wonders why I get frustrated. Meh.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Female logic is sometimes hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    If there was any logic in last night's conversation, I'm afraid it passed me by.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete