Sunday 14 August 2011

Well....it could have been worse

My wife travelled back today (on the train I suggested, logic perhaps did win out in the end), so my daughter and I drove over to the mainline station to pick her up in mid-afternoon. I have to admit that, this morning and through lunchtime, I was feeling very pessimistic about how the 'reunion' would go, but in the event, it was all quite civilised, if not exactly a passionate, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' experience. In the aftermath of the pair of 'difficult' phone calls in recent days, things were still slightly strained initially, and there were a few pointed or, at least, meaningful words said, but I think we both know that there is still some kind of solid basis to our relationship, and that we can find a way to go forward from here. There are pressures within the marriage, particularly, from my perspective, from the things I can't talk to my wife about, but much of the stress we're under is external, in terms of our financial problems and the sort of lifestyle we have to lead as a result, which, hopefully, is a situation which is fixable, given time and hard work (and no more bad luck).
By way of a bit of light relief, there was an unintentionally funny moment as we arrived back home from the station. There were some mid-teen lads kicking a football around as we turned into our street, and my wife made a comment to my daughter about 'dishy boys'. I looked at my daughter, who was sitting in the back seat of the car, as I reversed into the parking space opposite the house, and both of us struggled to avoid laughing out loud. As I said to my daughter a bit later on, though, there wasn't really any ambiguity in my wife's comment - the boys were all too old for me, if not for my daughter!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B


No comments:

Post a Comment