Tuesday 13 March 2012

Don't think

Another Orwellian concept has been illustrated this morning.

....being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity.


Part of Orwell's definition of 'crimestop' from Nineteen Eighty-Four. And, I'm sorry to say, exemplified by my wife's reaction to my daring to talk about religion and atheism, and their relative merits, earlier on. She actually said 'I'm bored' in lieu of a real answer after little more than a minute of conversation on the subject, which began when I mentioned my distaste for the 'religion industry', more an American than British phenomenon, admittedly, the rich 'televangelists' with their mansions and private jets. It really does fill me with dismay when an intelligent person, born, raised and living in a more or less secular country, won't even think about this issues raised by religious belief, just accepting what they've been fed with uncritical naïvety, seemingly preferring to give up their autonomy and be infantilised by saying 'God did it' rather than considering even the possibility that it all comes from within, that 'God' is as much a construct of the human mind as art, fiction, music, or anything else the species has made. Personal belief, is just that, personal, and I'm really not out to 'convert' anyone, but the closing down of thought, the refusal to even consider an alternative point of view, strikes me as worrisome and dangerous.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Sammy,
    You are not alone.
    I also do not understand, how educated people nowadays are going such a "Rattenfänger / Pied Piper" on the glue.
    And even worse, how they may spread their propaganda in schools.
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guten Tag Nikki
      I don't know whether it's a reaction to the perceived rise of radical Islam, but there certainly seems to be a distinct shift towards more fundamentalist versions of all religions at the moment. And that shift towards what I would describe as theocracy, and the related closing down of the willingness to think, is what worries me. After decades of humanity living on the brink of self-destruction through differences of political ideology, it would be ridiculous indeed if the 'tipping point' into world war was Bronze Age mythology.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete