Tuesday 6 March 2012

That would have been just about the last straw

One panic attack later, I've regained my equilibrium. When I got in from work, around an hour ago, I switched on my laptop - and it wouldn't boot up. It offered a 'retry' option by pressing the F1 key, which I did - and it still wouldn't boot up. After a few moments of what was little short of despair at the prospect of losing my 'window on the world' at what would've been just about the worst possible time, I remembered the IT helpdesk mantra. I switched it off, and switched it back on again, and, self-evidently, it's now working. I just hope it was a glitch, and not the first sign of a terminal decline. Sad as it may sound, I'd find it pretty hard to get along without my access to cyberspace, even in normal circumstances, and certainly in the prevailing climate of my life.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    As you say, this sort of behaviour may be a one-off glitch, but it's not encouraging for the future.

    I strongly recommend you ensure anything you might want again is backed up - USB memory sticks are convenient for this. This includes not only the obvious files, like documents, pictures etc., but also:
    - e-mail address book, and e-mail history (if you keep it on your laptop)
    - website bookmarks (you may be able to export them from your browser; otherwise copy the URLs from your browser into a text file)

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, we were talking about external hard drives at work this morning, and how relatively cheap they are now. It might be a subject worthy of further investigation.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete