Saturday 17 March 2012

Familiar places, changing faces

We were up and about relatively early this morning - for a Saturday, at least - to head the 15 miles or so over to the village we'd lived in when we first moved to Cornwall, to have a look at the rented house we'd seen advertised on the internet earlier in the week. We parked in the public car park next to the village pub, and walked the three or four minutes from there to the house. It was quite a nostalgic experience - the village doesn't fall into the 'picture postcard' category, by any means, but it was a friendly, unpretentious place, and from the people we still know from there, although we didn't see any of them today, it doesn't seem to have changed very much in that respect. The house itself was more than acceptable, albeit quite a bit smaller than we've become used to, so we'd have to be fairly ruthless in 'downsizing' if we were to move there. There are a few things to discuss before we make a final decision, including the incorporation of a significant piece of financial information that I'm waiting for at the moment into the process. Hopefully we'll be able to say 'yea or nay' before I have to go back 'up country' on Tuesday evening.
Within the last hour, I've had a bit of a surprise, although, in practical terms, it doesn't make that much difference. For the first time since my daughter's Finnish exchange partner was here, almost six months ago, I saw CBW boy close up - he was out with friends just around the corner from here when I got back from dropping my daughter off at her stage school. There's no doubt that puberty has kicked in with a vengeance in those past few months - although he's still not that tall, his face has changed a great deal, he's gone from, last summer and autumn, being 'dead centre' in my 'age of attraction', to almost looking too old for my tastes, even though he's still far from hard to look at. Good for him, of course, and I hope that he finds what he wants in life. Good for me, too, in a way - there's less chance that I'll do or say something that will get me into trouble!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I hate the thought was moving. But look at it this way: Here's a chance to get rid of so much of the detritus of life - we all collect it!

    I do hope things continue to at least be civil and conciliatory. That will help overall as you move over these bumps in your life.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      We're not certain to be moving as yet, but viewing this property, and keeping an eye out for anything else suitable coming onto the market is by way of keeping our options open. The two moves we have made in the last 12 years have had, as you suggest, the effect of a 'clear-out', although much of the 'detritus' of my life is in my head, which is rather more difficult to leave behind.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete