Friday 2 August 2013

Balancing act

Work/life and financial balancing, that is. After my recent illness, I've returned to work intending to work little, if any overtime, but my latest payslip, which arrived today, has prompted a rethink. It seems that if I want to live anywhere half-decent in the area where I work, which is an aspiration if I choose to stay in my present job, and be able to continue to pay my ex the amount I've agreed, and have enough money left over to be able to pay bills and live anything other than a completely frugal lifestyle, I'm going to have to commit to one overtime shift a week as a minimum. My Sunday shifts are paid as overtime, so two weeks a month, on average, are catered for, but I'm still going to have to work two or three of my nominal days off a month to make what I want to do practicable. The overtime is certainly available - there are several vacancies, another person having moved to a new job a couple of weeks ago, and three more of my colleagues on the move soon - but the prospect of going back to spending more time at work isn't at all appealing. Not for the first time, it seems that what would be desirable, and what's feasible, don't exactly marry up. The joys of being a wage slave!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Join the club of wage slaves, but we have zero overtime. It's not even in the budget, it's listed as a big fat ZERO every year. So I try to work a second job which of course, is intermittent, and that money usually goes to more toys for the job! HAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I know I'm much better off than most, both in terms of having a well-paid job to start with, and to have the opportunity to boost my earnings with overtime. It's just finding that balance, the elusive tipping point between working to live, or living to work. I'm still working on it, no pun intended!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete