Thursday 1 August 2013

Characters incarnate

Well, kind of, anyway. I've been reading Alexandrine again over the past few days - come on, it's only about six times since I finished it in April, what do you mean I'm obsessed! - and, in the course of my mid-evening journeys to work this week, I've seen two boys who came very close to my mental pictures of Xander and Robert as they would have been in the early part of the story, at 11/12. I saw 'Robert' on Monday evening as I was changing trains, a pretty, elfin, shy-looking little guy with high cheekbones, the only dissonance being that the real boy's hair was much lighter in colour, almost fair, than the dark hair of my imagination. Then last night, 'Xander', in a supermarket just outside 'worktown' station. I must have passed him half a dozen times, completely without artifice on my part (and, doubtless, his) during my progress around the shop. He was 11 or 12, blond, and utterly, breathtakingly, heartbreakingly stunning. Another 'ghost', of course, flitting through and out of my life in mere minutes. More's the pity.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Siiiigh....I had to negotiate a sidewalk filled with high school athletes the other day, all in shorts and t's. Siiiigh....

    BTW! This is good/bad news. I put Alexandrine on my Kindle to read it (as a PDF) over again, but you can't zoom fonts on a PDF on a Kindle. So I got a new Kindle, still can't. So I resaved it as a new PDF with HGUE fonts this time! Can't wait to work through its 65K words again! Great story.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Sometimes all you can do is sigh - wishing for the moon, and all that. I'm pleased and flattered that you like my 'little story grown large'. I have to admit that I love it, even if that sounds nauseatingly self-congratulatory!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete