Friday 31 October 2014

Trick or treat

Halloween, when I was a kid, was, in this country, just another day. I guess most people had heard of 'trick or treat', but it was seen as an American thing, and simply didn't happen here. Fast forward to 2014, though, and Halloween seems to have become yet another commercially driven 'season', advertised weeks in advance and dragging out over days rather than a few hours of October 31. Odd, too, how young people who have 'stranger danger' dinned into them, directly or indirectly, day in and day out, are then encouraged to go and knock on those very strangers' doors and beg for sweets. Isn't the classic 'paedo' tactic supposed to be offering sweets to small children? As ever, it's all hypocrisy and inconsistency. My plan is to leave for work early and take a slow meander there by bus, before anyone gets the chance to knock on my door. K has already gone off to her Halloween party, so there's no incentive for me to sit around waiting for the chance of being 'tricked'. And even the outside possibility of opening my front door to be faced by some unaccompanied cutie isn't a position I want to put myself in. The whole 'holiday' stinks, as far as I'm concerned.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Yup. I agree completely. I drove in, blocked the driveway with the truck, screw 'em. No kids here! And yeah, more commercialization.

    Here's a good one for you: Radio stations here are already broadcasting CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!!! 24/7!!!! ARGH!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I managed to evade the 'trick or treaters' adequately enough last night, although I did see quite a few out and about, including a group of 3 girls and a boy, all around 12 and with no supervising adult in evidence, in our local town centre, who were going up to cars stuck in traffic to do their begging. Talk about the world turned upside down - if the drivers of the cars had approached the kids, they would've found themselves locked up, if not lynched, in very short order.
      As for Christmas, there are already plenty of decorations and lights up in some of the shops, both locally and in Central London, and I also saw a Christmas tree in the window of a house on the way to work a few nights ago. In bloody October! Madness!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete