Thursday 10 February 2011

Blast from the past

I'm staying at my brother's this week, but commuting by train to work to keep the costs down. Being on nights, I'm getting back to the local station during 'school run' time, and something I saw driving back to my brother's house took me back 34 years, give or take, in an instant. A young, dark-haired boy - that was all I could see of him, at the distance concerned - was walking the way I used to walk to school when I had just started in the sixth form, and began to meet up with R every day en route. Who was R? The first boy I ever fell in love with. I have mentioned him before somewhere in the blog, and written a fictionalised version of my relationship with him in 'Cuckoos'. He's only 3 years younger than me, so he'll be middle-aged now - seeing the boy this morning just made me wonder where he is and what he's doing, and whether he'd look at me with the same visceral hatred that was in his eyes the last time I saw him, nearly thirty years ago, if we happened to meet by chance in the street today.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I too, wonder about many of my early relationships. I know where some of them are, and I've been in contact with a few. There's a lot that I haven't, and occasionally something happens that causes one to pop in my head...it's too bad your relationship ended badly. I'm sure the reason I don't see or hear from some of them are for the same reasons...
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    It certainly ended in tears, for me, anyway, the day after my 18th birthday. Great timing! Still, at least I was able to get over it eventually.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete