Tuesday 15 February 2011

Oh no - there's a teenager in the house!

It's my daughter's 13th birthday today, so if I'm to believe the stereotypes, she should have turned into a surly, monosyllabic malcontent overnight! In fact, almost the first thing she said to me when I spoke to her on the phone this morning was that she didn't feel any different from yesterday, which pretty much mirrors the feelings I've always had about birthdays - they are, ultimately, just another day, and there's nothing about any of them that will magically change you into someone or something else. It's the first time I've missed my daughter's birthday for several years, so it's a bit disappointing, but, unless something totally unforeseen happens, I'll be back at home by mid-afternoon tomorrow, so I'll only be a day late for the festivities.
I've swapped the hobbit hole for a Travelodge this evening - they're motel-ish sort of places, for the benefit of my non-UK readers - because I have to be at work at 4:30 in the morning for another of my series of competence assessments, and it seemed to me that it would be easier to check out of one of these places at 'stupid o'clock' than it would from a hotel or B & B. The swap means that my accommodation is substantially more salubrious than the past two nights, but also rather further away from work, so it's an 'early to bed and very early to rise' experience I've got to look forward to, if 'looking forward' is the right concept. Still, no pain, no gain, as yet another cliche goes - after tomorrow, I'm on holiday for 10 days. I can hardly wait!

Love & bet wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Birthdays: I have to agree - I don't think I've ever felt different because of one. The significant, life-changing events tend to happen at other times, more or less at random.

    Best of luck with your assessment tomorrow - hopefully it'll be no more difficult than those you've already passed.

    I hope you have a good holiday too - you've sounded for some time as if you need a break. Do I guess right that you'll just be staying at home?

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthdays for kids are a lot more special than for us oldn's.

    WOW! 10 days off! Excellent! I'm sure it will be nice to sleep in your own bed. Have a great time!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mark
    I am, indeed, back at home, and have no intention of budging very far in the next week and a half if I have any say in the matter. It certainly is a welcome break, especially after nine consecutive days away - I'll do my best to make the most of it.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    I guess, if nothing else, that birthdays are less of a cause for optimism as you get older - I don't think I'm being unduly morbid in suggesting that I've seen more in the past than I will in the future, whereas, I fervently hope, my daughter is in the opposite position.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete