Sunday 13 February 2011

Divided by a common language?

There are times when talking to my wife can seem like a thousand mile hike through treacle while trying to hold a conversation with someone who not only can't understand English, but can't understand any terrestrial language at all. I'm stuck up here in London, trying to earn the proverbial crust - I even ended up working 4 hours overtime today, to cover for a rostering faux pas - so I was less than impressed when I rang home to be greeted by moans and groans about our, admittedly ailing, finances, revolving around how my wife wanted to dole out a pile of money we haven't got to our daughter so she can go out to the cinema in the week with some friends. I don't want to seem as though I'm putting my 'Scrooge' hat on, but my daughter has hundreds of pounds in her bank account, put there by us in lieu of pocket money, while my wife still seems to think that we're being neglectful parents if we don't hand over even more cash for outings like the one that's been planned. I think a dose of realistic expectation, probably more on my wife's part than my daughter's, might be useful at this point.
The phone call was made during my mid-shift meal break, and after it ended, I wandered the few minutes to the local supermarket (where I saw 12/10 boy recently), only to trip over another grade one cutie, this one probably pretty close to being of legal age, unusually for me - he must've been 14 or 15, tall and blond but still very boyish looking facially. A sweet antidote to a rather sour conversation.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. The personal finanaces...what a morass...if she has money, she should fund her own entertainment - I certainly did once I had a job at 14 years old. It's that simple. It isn't neglect to expect personal money management as a teenager, especially when family finances are tight!

    BTW, Sammy, I'm sure I'm being an old fart, but what industry are you in? I know you work a lot of day shift work, with overtime occasionally, but I can't remember what you do!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I spoke to my wife again last night, and it had all calmed down a bit. The money issue is, I hope, going to be addressed by my current job, but it's not going to happen overnight. As to my occupation, the reason you can't remember is that I've never said, and that's for a reason - when I was in my previous post, saying what I did would have been far too much of a giveaway to real life ID, because there were very few of us doing the job I do in Cornwall. Sorry to be obscurantist, but, like the rest of the subterfuge, it's done with my family in mind.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete