Monday 28 February 2011

Magnum opus?

I've been prone to false dawns before when it comes to my fiction writing, but maybe, this time, I've found a way to get into a story that's been gestating for longer than the blog has been in existence. It's a kind of John Wyndham-esque, post-apocalyptic plot, but finding a way to flesh out the bones has proved an insoluble problem for more than a year now. However, I've written more this afternoon and early evening than in all the rest of the time that the story has been around, so I'm hopeful that this might just be the start of something worthwhile. It also meets a criterion I've wanted to fulfil for some time, a story in a different genre than the things I've posted hitherto, which have, I'll admit, centred around boys for the most part, no more so than my last effort, which, as I perhaps should have expected, given the subject matter, seems to have appealed to no-one but me.
One beneficial side effect of my excursion into authorship today has been to take my mind off of the stressors which have caused an exacerbation of my arrhythmic symptoms in recent days. I haven't been able to get an appointment to see my doctor until Wednesday, so I won't be back at work until Thursday at the earliest - with the best will in the world, I can't do my job, being classed as safety-critical as it is, while I'm feeling so disturbed, literally and metaphorically. Even sitting here now, doing nothing more strenuous than typing, there's still a fluttery hiccup in my chest now and again, which doesn't do much for my equilibrium, as may be imagined. Hopefully the doctor will be able to suggest a tweak to my medication which might stop this kind of thing happening again, because I really can't afford to spend weeks on the sick list as I did last year.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. It's good you've got your writing as an outlet. I hope things calm down, especially your heart! I can't imagine dealing with that on top of everything else. It's good you recognize the limitations and don't take chances on the job, though I understand not wanting to be out sick for any more than you absolutely have to be. Here's hoping the doc can help!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    The time I spent writing yesterday was perhaps the only time since last Friday I've felt relatively normal, so the therapeutic value can't be underestimated. It's a pity I can't bottle the effect!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Sammy

    I hope you've had a better day today.

    It's good to know that you have something to take your mind off all the other stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing the magnum opus when it emerges (breaks out of its chrysalis, perhaps?). Wyndham is one of my favourite authors, and it's a shame his work seems to be largely neglected these days.

    As for Suadela, I did read it, and like it, but for various reasons it didn't quite seem to catch my attention like some of your other stories. Given some time in the near future, I'll comment there at more length.

    Best of luck for tomorrow's appointment: I hope there's a straightforward medical solution.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mark
    The 'chryasalis' reference is fairly apposite, I think - I hope the new story isn't too derivative, but anyone who knows 'The Chrysalids' would recognise that story as an influence, hardly surprisingly given that it's one of my favourite books.
    Suadela was, I'll admit, a bit on the self-indulgent side, so I'm neither surprised or dismayed at its quiet reception - I like it though, so I'm afraid I'm unapologetic.
    Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow - I'm hoping the doctor can pull some sort of rabbit out of the hat, because I'm a bit concerned about the way the symptoms have presented this time around, and I could do with some reassurance that there's nothing sinister going on.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete