Saturday 12 February 2011

Conventionality

Following on, at least tangentially, from yesterday's post, I came across an interesting example of how people find it much easier to trot out the kneejerk reaction than to actually think about the issues involved, while I was at work the other night. One of my colleagues cultivates the image of being the workplace 'eccentric', saying things, most of which would fall into the category of innuendo, I guess, which might lead to a superficial view that he has 'unusual' tastes (though probably not as unusual as me, to be fair). During one of the quiet periods of the night shift concerned, he and a couple of my other colleagues were talking - I wasn't involved in the conversation, but I was sitting close enough to hear what was being said - when discussion turned to someone who left my new workplace some years ago, and who has apparently recently been convicted of sex offences. The 'eccentric' came out with a description of the person concerned which left no doubt that, for all his outward oddness, his opinions were strictly, unthinkingly conventional, both in the phraseology he used and in the vehemence with which he spoke. It could have been regurgitated directly from the most lurid, hackneyed tabloid journalism which these cases attract, no thoughts of how or why the situation arose, or even of what actually happened, just the reflex condemnation. It didn't seem as though the higher brain centres were involved at all. I don't want to give the impression that I condone abuse, because I don't - those who coerce others into sexual activity that they are unwilling or unable to consent to deserve punishment - but for every case to be viewed in such prejudicially black and white terms I find depressing.

Love & bet wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sammy;
    What a great example of "I'm good because you are really bad". By having someone to knock down, someone to stand on, a person can raise himself from the muck and proclaim himself lilly white.....forgetting, of course, that the lilly is mired/rooted in the dirt and muck as well.
    We need to remember that the justice system is there so the populace need not be the punisher, the vigilante mob calling for death, but able to focus on higher callings. Wonderful how some are so willing to be the judge...as long as it is of other people than the man in the mirror.
    Have a great day, my friend. love - randy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Randy says it well...there's so much of there here, too, spewing from the fundamentalists and conservatives...ugh...

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Randy & Jay
    Maybe it's because I know I'm not 'whiter than white' myself that things like this get to me, but, even so, it's the unthinking parroting of the same old cliches that I find hard to accept - and annoying, to boot.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete