Saturday 19 February 2011

Interesting process

I've managed to get back into a bit of writing today, working on a story in 'Cuckoos'. This particular story, which isn't finished yet, but is coming along nicely, has evolved in an unusual way. It began over a month ago with a single word which I found on a website dedicated to unusual words (The Phrontistery) and which I decided would make a good title - the word is quaesitum, meaning 'that which is sought for; an object of search; the answer to a problem'. I wrote one paragraph the same day, but then couldn't see where to go next, hardly surprising given that there was no plot at that stage, and didn't return to the draft until a couple of days ago. Then, for whatever reason, I found a way forward, and have made steady progress since. It's almost turning my usual writing method inside out, where the plot comes to me fully formed, and I then just need to hang words onto a ready-made foundation. It's nice to know, I suppose, that there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
As far as the object of my current search, a solution to the mess which seems to constitute my life at the moment, goes, today has been pretty neutral. Things haven't deteriorated noticeably, but nothing has miraculously repaired itself, either. At least one aspect of the last couple of days has been easily evaded - I've assiduously stayed away from reading any more sad (from my perspective) online stories. There's quite enough going on without gratuitously shooting myself in the foot.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I love how writing works in general. A germ of an idea, or an ingenious plot that appears, all go towards writing a compelling story, be it 1000 words or 100,000. I've experienced both. I will say, however, that the "ready made form" is much easier to flesh out than the "POP" of a word or idea or other such stimulus.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    The feeling when the muse is present and the words are flowing is certainly a satisfying one, for me, at least. It's not quite as pleasant when you're staring blankly at an empty page/screen, though!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete