Thursday 16 June 2011

Childhood's end

My daughter seems to be in one of those phases of her life where things keep happening. After the emotional stuff of the last couple of weeks, she's now in the throes of a big physiological moment in her life - menarche. If I was being sentimental about it, I could say something along the lines of 'my little girl isn't a little girl any more', but I prefer to look at it as being another step on the path to maturity and independence. The only sad thing about it was that she felt too embarrassed to talk to my wife about it initially, rather undermining the hope that we've been successful in convincing her that she can talk to us about anything. When I spoke to her earlier on, I used the phrase I've taken as the title of this post, and she at least chuckled about it, so I'm hoping that's a sign that she's not too traumatised by it all. At least she's not coming to this point in her life unprepared - she knows what her first period is and what it means, and has had that information since she was at primary school.
On top of that, she's had the last (for the moment) in a series of HPV vaccinations in the last couple of days, and she's started her end of school year exams as well. You could forgive her for wanting to go and curl up in a corner somewhere and hide!
Sometimes diligence brings rewards, and I received one last night when I perused next week's roster at work. I'm working another extra shift on Sunday afternoon, which means that by Tuesday I'll have worked on 14 consecutive days. That, in our safety-critical work environment, is the most we're allowed to do, so I get a bonus (paid) day off on Wednesday. Given that I was due to be off after Wednesday for the rest of the week in any case, it means that I get to go home 24 hours earlier - I should, given a fair wind, be back in Cornwall by early evening on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it, as ever.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment