Wednesday 15 June 2011

Reading matter, overtime and 400

As I've said on quite a few occasions over the last 6 months or so, I have quite a problem in not outing myself at work from time to time, in the face of the sort of the mindless, bigoted trash that some of my colleagues espouse. Up to now, I've always managed to let discretion be the better part of valour, although I've had a couple of very near misses. Sometimes, though, I say or do something that would give any of my workmates who were bright enough a pretty big clue as to what's beneath the surface, and last night was an example of that phenomenon - I took The Moralist into work, and spent a good while in the quiet hours mid-shift reading it. At least one of them gave the cover of the book more than a passing glance when I'd put it on one side to take a phone call, and it made me think afterwards what I could have said if he'd asked me what it was about. A book with an unashamed boylover as the central character, hmmm! That might have been an interesting conversation.
As if I'm not working enough hours at the moment, I've volunteered to go in early tonight for four hours overtime (and on Saturday, too). I might as well do overtime of this type, because if I wasn't at work, I'd only be here in my room internetting, and the extra cash certainly won't come amiss, but it does make the 'waking' part of the day a bit of a rush - I'll need to leave in just over an hour, and I haven't even had a shower yet. Such a fun-filled lifestyle I lead.
So, this has been post number 400. I'm still (mostly) enjoying my time in Blogland, and I hope all of you who are kind enough to read what I write don't feel I've outstayed my welcome. On to the next 100!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I never open a blog, personal email, or anything else like that at work, nor would I take anything even slightly suspicious in with me...just not willing to go there.

    Congrats on #400! And just remember, if any of us felt that you'd outstayed your welcome, we'd just go away! No worries, Sammy, no worries!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I don't have the option to go anywhere near my blogs or personal e-mail on the work IT, because of firewalls and the like, not that I would in any case, so that particular avenue towards 'spilling the beans' is blocked. Reading a book, though? If people are so small-minded as to find fiction offensive, that's their problem, not mine.
    Thanks for the kind words about my being in Blogland - the fact that at least a few people find my meanderings readable is its own reward.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete