Saturday 18 June 2011

The Moralist

I finished reading The Moralist for the third time at around 3:45 this morning, and this latest re-reading hasn't changed my attitude towards the book at all - I still absolutely love it. I'm tempted to launch into a long exposition about the book, full of spoilers, but I'll restrain myself. All I will say is that if you've read and enjoyed Lolita, you'd probably like The Moralist, unless you happened to especially like the downbeat, 'moral of the story', ending to Lolita.
The next 48 hours are going to be a bit of an endurance test for me. I'm doing a 12 hour shift tonight, then doubling back to work a late shift tomorrow, then doubling back again to early shift on Monday. It's the sort of thing we used to do quite a lot of, in my first decade in the industry, but it doesn't happen very often these days, because of working time regulations. Theoretically, this run of shifts for me should have been 'risk-assessed' by my manager before being authorised, but he's on holiday, and we're very short of staff at the moment, so it seems to have been rubber-stamped by someone. It's to my advantage, too, as I mentioned the other day, because it means I'll be back at home 24 hours earlier than anticipated. I'm certainly looking forward to that prospect.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B


No comments:

Post a Comment