Monday 20 June 2011

Just remind me how much I'm looking forward to going home

As usual with these protracted sojourns 'up country' while I'm working, I've been counting down the days to my next visit home. So, we get to the eve of my latest homecoming, and my wife decides to start going on about money again, we've got to do this, that and the other, fill forms in, and so it goes on. I don't even get the pleasures of anticipation of my time off now, I just get the extended trailer of how shit it's going to be while I'm still in Surrey. Perhaps I should stay up here all the time and work seven days a week, maybe that would justify my existence. I don't seem to be worth anything beyond my paycheck anymore.
In non-self pity news, my wife and daughter might have something to look forward to this week. My wife bumped into an old friend from the village we lived in when we first moved to Cornwall while she was out shopping yesterday, and they've provisionally arranged a visit. As a result, my daughter will hopefully have a chance to meet up with her best friend from her first year in school, when she was at the village school, the son of the family. Apparently, according to his mother, the boy still talks about my daughter, even though he's hardly seen her since they were both 5 or 6 years old. She obviously made an impression!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps a talk about appropriate times to discuss the finances? "I don't need the stress at work"...that sort of thing...

    And your daughter has a "secret admirer" of sorts, huh? Interesting.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I was actually back at my accommodation when I had the conversation with my wife, what I found disappointing was the fact that my looking forward to heading home was dampened by being reminded of what awaits me.
    My daughter's friend was very fond of her when they were in the reception class at school, but how much of that remains is an open question. Interesting to find out, as you say.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete