Monday 27 June 2011

Unremittingly dismal

It's been one of those days, from having to get up at 5:15 this morning preparatory to travelling back (although I have to admit the journey itself went well, the worst I can claim was that it was a bit tedious), through a completely rubbish shift at work, problems from start to finish, not helped at all by the fact that I, personally, was on far less than sparkling form - even allowing that I had the job round my neck for hours, it was my poorest performance for a long time. Then, to round it all off this evening, my wife rang with news of a further deterioration in my mother-in-law's health - sadly it seems the worst is now more likely than not to happen, sooner rather than later. My wife wants to visit, understandably, because she may have very few more chances to see her mum, and got rather frustrated that I couldn't tell her immediately what I was working next week, but, as I tried to explain to her, there's no-one I can speak to with access to next week's roster until the morning, and even though I undertook to do that as early as I can tomorrow, I was still left with the impression that it wasn't the answer she wanted to hear. All in all, a day best suited to being consigned to the dustbin of history as soon as possible.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the mother in law. Yeah that's always a stressful and mood-breaking situation, and you not being able to show up when needed (/wanted) doesn't exactly make it better. As you said, all we can do is wish for better days to come.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief yes, when I was working for the railway I used to have days like you describe when only the thought of boys and cooking something nice when I eventually got home kept me going.

    I tell you one thing - it is nice when you finally stop banging your head against the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Daniel
    Even though we've known for a year that my mother-in-law would be likely to reach this point, it doesn't make dealing with the reality of it any easier, especially with the extra layer of complication added by my being away from home. Thank you for your support.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    well, today is another day, and, without wishing to tempt fate, I'm hoping it will be an improvement on yesterday. At least I'm in a job when I know more or less what time I'm going to finish, and when I can leave the mess to the incoming shift, so the 'banging the head' stops at a finite point, meaning there's always that to look forward to, if nothing else.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete