Wednesday 21 September 2011

£9.99 worth of calm

That's how much I've paid this evening at a mini-supermarket in 'domicile-ville' for a couple of bottles of beer and a nice bottle of Chilean Chardonnay, on special offer, no less. I'm now in a slightly floppy state, having drunk most of the contents of the sundry bottles. I've drunk far too much alcohol in my adult life, by any realistic criterion, but it's almost never been an emotional crutch - my excuse is that I drink because I enjoy it, which is a good enough reason, so far as I'm concerned - and I don't think this evening's imbibing has been markedly different, but I do feel more relaxed than I have for a while. How much of that is real, and how much alcohol-induced? Hard to say, in all honesty. I've often thought that it's only shift work that has saved me from being an alcoholic. Maybe I'm right, who knows?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

5 comments:

  1. I do love my bourbon, and only good beers will cross my lips!

    Alcoholic? Possibly. Raging? No, thank God.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alcohol induces a certain calm and relaxation, that's so true. Unfortunately, later when the haze has gone away that doesn't apply to the demons or whatever we're fighting.
    That's why dare state alcohol - no matter how much I enjoy a couple of glasses of a good red - is no solution or way out.

    Love & Hugs
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay & Daniel
    I just enjoyed the beer and wine last night for what it was, pleasant to drink. The chilled-out feeling was simply a happy side-effect. If I start using booze as a means of drowning my consciousness, it will be time to seriously consider giving up. I haven't, I think, reached that point yet.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha...

    I found 3 unopened "Bud Lights" in the woods when I was hiking a few weeks ago...and I drank them all!!!

    I refer to the aforementioned trek as the "Bud Light Trail," and it led to a huge pile of empty cans next to a swimming pond.

    Nice blog, btw.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andy
    Thanks for your visit, and your comment. Much as I like my beer, I think I might pass on drinking stuff I found lying about, but then I'm a bit of a pessimist, for the most part. The blog hasn't been in its most sparkling state of late, because I haven't been all that chipper myself. Thanks for the kind words, though.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete