Sunday 4 September 2011

A straight answer, at least

Following on from the unhappy financial discussions of recent days, I actually managed to get a straight answer - eventually, at about the fourth time of asking, after some chicanery which might have made a spin doctor blush - from my wife about whether she preferred bankruptcy to using her nursing qualifications to earn money to try and help our situation. And she prefers bankruptcy. So, as I said to her, where that leaves me remains to be seen. If we're going to go down in flames anyway, what's the point of me being away from home for weeks at a time doing a job I don't particularly want to do? I might as well cash my pension in and live on that for a year or two, before the vultures get their hands on the proceeds. It would only postpone the inevitable, but if I'm going to watch that inevitability approach, I'd rather do it from the comfort of my own home.
Or there's always Plan B.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Under the circumstances, your wife seems very unreasonable to me. With this attitude, I don't think she has any right to complain about things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    It's a decision she's made, and she obviously feels justified in making. The question now is, what do I do about it? Thought is required.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy

    I think I would want to understand just what your wife's justification is for this decision. A marriage is supposed to be a partnership, and sometimes I think this must call for sacrifices from both parties - something that doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe your wife doesn't understand the likely consequences of bankruptcy, or is in denial about them?

    Best of luck in working things out.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mark
    As I said to Brian, I'm far from being decided as to what to do next. My wife usually prefers compromise, but there is an element of her personality that can attach itself, limpet-like, to an idea, and this idea of hers that her health is going to be 'ruined' if she goes back to nursing is one of those scenarios. I can't, ultimately, force her to change her mind, and when persuasion, and even the prospect of losing our home can't shift her, there's little, short of walking out, that I can do. Try and keep talking, I suppose, and hope for the best.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete