Tuesday 6 September 2011

Boys, buses, booze, birthdays

This post would have been far more rant-ish if I'd written it an hour or so ago, but I guess I must have calmed down a bit. I went out and about after work today around West London, just for a change of scenery, in all honesty - I was on earlies today, and I'm on lates tomorrow, so that perhaps tipped the balance in favour of doing something other than just heading back to the accommodation and doing my well-practised impression of a hermit. I like travelling by bus sometimes, especially when I can sit on the top deck, as is often the case in London, see the world go by, and, in my case, do a bit of boy watching as well. There seemed to be a 50/50 split about the summer holidays having ended - some schools had obviously resumed, but there were still plenty of school age kids in civvies around the place, too (my daughter went back to school today, but her friend who goes to the equivalent boys' grammar school at home doesn't start until tomorrow, so the inconsistency isn't restricted to the London area), so I wasn't short of eye candy. There were, though, two boys this afternoon for whom the 'eye candy' appellation doesn't do justice. One was just a fleeting moment, getting off a train with (presumably) his father while I was waiting for my train back to 'domicile-ville', but the other, who I was able to more or less surreptitiously moon over for fifteen or twenty minutes on one of the buses I caught, was an utter delight - on first inspection, he seemed very young, but when he spoke to his companion, who appeared to be a German (speaking) exchange student, his voice was quite deep, as though puberty was well under way, but, whatever, the boyish looks were irresistible - for the likes of me, at least. I could have been tempted to become a kidnapper, momentarily, anyway!
After the sweetness on the bus, though, I still ended up 'bumping along the bottom', on my own in a couple of bars, drinking more than is strictly good for me. I'm not particularly inclined to 'drowning my sorrows', but there are times when I perhaps don't restrain myself as much as I might, including this evening. Mind you, I'm here two or three hours later typing away, and hopefully making some kind of sense, so it's not as if I'm 'drunk and incapable'.
A couple of birthdays today - my brother, who I would've rung anyway, but even more so after his hospitality a few months ago, and my cousin's oldest son, who is 18 today. My wife is his godmother, so I suggested a phone call on such an auspicious day might be in order, but she didn't seem that keen. I suppose godmother/father is, these days, largely honorary, so I shouldn't be surprised - and, as an atheist, anyway, there doesn't appear to be much of a reason to get wound up about it.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to get out every now and then, isn't it? I try to do it occasionally, too. Not nearly as often as I should. It's even better when the scenery is nice, too.

    I do like my liquor, much too much, I must admit, though I prefer not to get sloppy drunk in public either.

    I think the godparent thing here has turned into more of a religious thing, and it's not nearly as emphasized as it once was. But Happy Birthday to your relatives!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    It was a pleasant change to go and see a bit more of the world than work and my room, and the eye candy didn't detract from the experience, either. I think I just about stopped in time, as far as alcoholic over-indulgence goes - another beer or two, and I might well have been more than a bit fragile this morning, but, in the event, I feel reasonably human. I guess years of experience lead to your knowing where your limits are!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete