Saturday 17 July 2010

Climate, Chaucer and Cuties

Well, to be honest, 'climate' is just for alliteration purposes, the weather was the main talking point on Thursday - it was absolutely foul, pouring with rain and blowing close to a gale by the evening. Anyone would think the Cornish summer had arrived! That about summed up the day - stay at home and avoid getting drenched.
My daughter has been performing in her school's drama group's production of three of Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales' over the last couple of nights. My wife and I went to watch last night, and it was all very well done, both by the individuals performing, and in terms of the overall quality of the production. My daughter has enjoyed acting and singing from an early age, and, even allowing for a little bit of parental bias, she's pretty good.
The last twenty-four hours has been marked by some delights for the eye (the eye of someone like me that is). The most predictable, and, given my impending job move, the most poignant, was this morning at work when I had my best view of my favourite boy for months and months, when he got held up outside my window for a couple of minutes. The fact that I'll miss seeing him so much is offset a little by the fact that he's growing up so fast that it won't be long before he grows away from my tastes - perhaps it's the best time to leave, with the memory of him at his delightful best. He was sandwiched, as it were, by two much younger examples of the 'lovely to look at, but only to look at', but two very different ones. On the way home from work this afternoon, I stopped off at a supermarket to get a sandwich for my lunch, and a couple of other odd bits of shopping. As I got to the top of one of the aisles, I almost fell over a pretty boy of about 8 or 9, who any of the very few people who know about my predilections would pick out of an 'identity parade' as one who would catch my eye, blond, tousled hair and a sweet face. I saw him a couple more times as I made my way round the shop, leaving me smiling (inside, at least) by the time I paid for my purchases and left.
The first of the three, though, was an oddity, in more ways than one. We had to drop my daughter off at her school about an hour and a half before her performance started last night, so my wife and I went to a supermarket (not my lunch stop of today) for a drink in their pleasant cafĂ©. Sitting a few tables away from us was what I can only describe as an odd couple. The adult was a man in his late twenties or early thirties, who looked a bit of a rough, tough kind of character - cropped hair, tattoos, t-shirt and jeans - while with him was a boy of about 10 or 11, who was 'dressed to kill', black shirt, matching black and white tie, formal trousers, and who, and I'm going to use a word I almost never use about a boy, was frankly beautiful, in a markedly androgynous way, long, almost jet black hair, looking, apart from not having the classic 'olive' skin, almost Mediterranean, a boy who, in my limited experience of such things, looked as though he ought to be signed up by some modelling agency. I'm almost never attracted to boys with his kind of look, but he was just so eye-catching and different. I'm sure there was some perfectly rational explanation for the 'odd couple' syndrome, but it was all a bit curious, so I couldn't resist a last look, and the boy 'caught me looking'. Nothing was said, though, and we just left.


Thank you very much to Ian (Mind of Mine) for taking the time and trouble to become my latest follower. I've found his blog recently, and would recommend it as interesting and thought-provoking.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment