Monday 5 July 2010

In demand

Today has seen me treated to an unusual experience - I'm actually in demand! I had a phone call this afternoon from one of my former regular co-workers at my last workplace, who's currently acting manager for that area, asking if I'd be prepared to go back there on a temporary basis until I move permanently to my new job, because they are apparently desperately short of staff at the moment. The place where I used to work is due to close at the end of next year, the work being amalgamated into a new, larger centre covering a bigger area, and some of the staff have already started looking elsewhere rather than waiting to be made redundant, or being forced to move to a new location that wouldn't necessarily suit them, and, on top of that, there are 2 people on long-term sickness absence. I've told my former colleague that I'd be quite happy to step into the breach, as long as my current manager and the manager at my new place agree, so I'll wait and see what happens. It would suit me on a number of levels - more money, a better roster pattern (better than my forthcoming new job, as well as what I'm doing at the moment), but, most of all, a rapid exit from my present job. It would also mean I wouldn't have to undergo a longish period of training and familiarisation, at least not yet, merely a week or two of 'refresher' training, and then up and at it. Not that I wish to seem excessively mercenary, but I'm also hoping I might be able to use the fact of being 'headhunted' to my advantage, especially in terms of some accommodation being provided, at least partly, at the company's expense - after all, they've got a lot more money than I have!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Good luck in getting the temporary job! You have of course got me guessing about where it might be...

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    I won't tantalise you, knowing your penchant for detective work - I'll drop you an e-mail!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete