Tuesday 13 July 2010

Months....

....to answer my own question of a few days ago. As of 9:00 this morning, I was expecting to be starting a 'loan' period of at least 2 weeks at my old workplace from Monday, now, less than 3 hours later, I'm being told I'm staying where I am until October, and, to make the situation even less palatable, my manager didn't even have the courtesy to tell me of the change of plan directly, leaving the 'dirty work' to the roster clerk. To say I'm unhappy is a considerable understatement, and my manager is now well aware of the fact, after an acrimonious telephone conversation a few minutes ago. If there was any realistic way I could afford to resign right now, I'd be doing just that. And I'm on bloody late turn today. All I can say is, I hope the local scum have the common sense to stay away from me.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    I'm sorry to hear about this; I can well understand why your blood is boiling. Your manager seems distinctly unimpressive if he or she doesn't have the courage to tell you directly.

    I'd imagine that your prospective temporary and permanent future managers will be less than happy with this too: I'm surprised there isn't a more formal system in your organisation for arranging transfers of apparently scarce front-line operational people like you. "Possession is nine points of the law" might be fine for individual managers with staff, but it hardly seems conducive to achieving the most efficient overall distribution of people.

    Good luck for tonight. The forecast seems to be cool but dry - I hope that won't offer too much encouragement for the wildlife to emerge from their burrows.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    I managed to get through my shift without incident, I'm pleased to say - I've got 2 days off now to lick my wounds. Management staff in my company, at least at the relatively low level of those I tend to interact directly with, are more often than not promoted 'from the ranks', and are pretty much expected to get on with it without too much extra training - the philosophy of training within the industry as a whole has always been along the lines of 'pick it up as you go along' - which means that you do often encounter some pretty amateurish practices. I'm obviously annoyed in this instance because the situation is to my detriment, both in terms of the environment I'm working in and financially, but I'm not, in all honesty, all that surprised. At least, looking on the brightest side I can find at the moment, I'll be on my way in 3 months at the most.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete