Saturday 24 July 2010

Sadness, frustration and ineptitude

Not, as you might guess from the title, one of my better days. Contrary to the impression my 'Room 101' post  might have given, I was pretty upbeat for most of yesterday, enjoying the first day of my long weekend off and looking forward to a continuation today. The fates decided otherwise, it seems, because one of the first things I came across this morning, after a welcome (by my early riser standards) lie-in, was what appears to be the last post on DJ's blog. I can only go by the evidence of his blog, given that he lives something in the order of 4000 miles away from me, but DJ really seems to be a lovely young man, kind, generous and talented, but he really has had some rough times in his life of late, and now he's been badly upset all over again, and, for whatever reason in connection with this latest problem, he's evidently decided to give up his blog. I feel thoroughly frustrated that there's nothing I can do to help him, because there's no-one I've come across in my meanderings through Blogland who I feel better deserves a magic wand to solve his problems than DJ. All I can do is hope that he finds a way to come through, as he said, 'stronger and smarter'.
If that was an example of 'sadness and frustration', this afternoon threw up a decided 'frustration and ineptitude' episode, over, and I have no doubt that this is going to sound ridiculously inconsequential in most people's scheme of things, fitting a new toilet seat. I have no claims whatsoever to any practical aptitude, DIY and I are hostile strangers, if not mortal enemies. There are jobs around the house, however, that a trained monkey ought to be able to do, but, if this afternoon's shambles is anything to go by, I'm not even up to trained monkey standards. I did manage to complete the installation eventually, but the job took 3 or 4 times as long as it should have done, and left me in almost inarticulate annoyance at my incompetence. There are far worse problems in the world, I know, and I expect that I sound fatuously trivial, but that, sadly, is just the way I feel at the moment.

Love & best wishes to all (and big ((hugs)) to DJ)
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I hate plumbing jobs too. I can never seem to get it right the first time and it always takes much longer than I anticipated. So, welcome to the club.

    I am totally mystified about DJ's current situation. I just can't fathom who he is talking about and what he could have found out that upset him so. I sincerely hope he doesn't abandon his blog. I can't see how that can help. I know I will miss him if he does. He has been a bright spot in my life lately. He seems like such a nice guy and seemed to be getting along so well lately. It hurts me to see him in such anguish.

    Best wishes,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    We can't, via blogs, know all of the circumstances of an individual's life, so I'm sure that DJ feels whatever has happened means that he has to 'walk away', but I, like you, will be very sorry to see him go, if that's the outcome, especially in such a sad way.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete