Wednesday 14 July 2010

Virtue, perforce

Most people, I suspect, unless they have reserves of righteousness that are completely alien to me, have jobs that they put off until circumstances force their hand. I had one such moment today. On the top shelf of my desktop computer's workstation (as the piece of furniture I'm sitting in front of now was grandiosely called when we acquired it) for some considerable time has been a pile of more or less 'official' correspondence which has built up because I considered it might need to be kept for one reason or another. As I reached for something else on the shelf earlier this evening, I managed to trigger an avalanche of paper of biblical proportions. After I'd finished swearing loudly and eloquently, I decided that the time had come to sort through the contents of the shelf and see what, if anything, had passed its sell-by date. Completely unsurprisingly, 95%, give or take, of the snowstorm of paper was utterly dispensable, and is now in the recycling bag ready for our next collection on Tuesday - there was stuff there going back to 2007!
Just to prove, after yesterday's fiasco, that there is some slight element of man-management expertise in my company, I received a very pleasant phone call from the manager of my former workplace (who's back 'in post' this week because my former shift-mate who's acting manager is on holiday) this afternoon, thanking me for my efforts in trying to help out, and acknowledging the fact that I've been stymied by circumstances beyond the control of anyone other than my present manager. He didn't need to call me, so the fact that he did is much appreciated.
Another story is taking shape for 'Nephelokokkygia', although, not for the first time, my hopes of finishing it today have been dashed by a combination of indolence and genuine distractions. I think this one will, at least, get finished, but it's going to be one that won't please everyone, not because of unhappy endings, or otherwise, but because it's going to be the first one that's going to need a serious disclaimer - there's going to be some sex in it, I'm afraid.

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment