Thursday 1 July 2010

Blue eyes and bright ideas

I woke up before my alarm went off this morning, from a dream I remembered almost nothing of except looking at myself in a mirror and seeing myself with blue eyes, a very similar colour to my wife's eyes, rather than my real-life nondescript brown. For some reason I'm completely unable to explain, or even adequately describe, that snippet of a dream has given me an idea for what, if I can find the level of commitment and determination required, might become my first novel. I've talked a good fight about writing a novel a few times before, but this really might be the time when it comes to fruition. The plan is to write four or five chapters, then release Chapter 1 onto 'Nephelokokkygia', then each time I finish a chapter, release another, so there's some kind of logical progression, rather than trying to write the whole thing and then putting out 'x' number of chapters all at once. I've got the basis of the plot - it is, to put it simply, a love story spread over about 20 years - and the two main characters, so I'll have to see where, if anywhere, it goes.
I've had my first official confirmation of my new job - an e-mail telling me that my offer letter is in the post, although it didn't arrive today. On the basis of 'Sod's Law', a few days after I'd verbally accepted the new job, a vacancy has arisen in the place I worked before moving to my present job. In some ways, going back to my old haunt would be better, but the job is only going to be available for about 18 months, and then I'd be uprooted again, so I'm reluctantly going to stick to Plan A, because I suspect it's going to take 3 or 4 years to get our finances back on a properly even keel.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    The human brain is a remarkable thing: the connections it makes can be wholly opaque, and yet the inspirations that arise from them can be quite amazing. I'm certainly looking forward to this new story, whether it be novel-length or not. Bearing in mind what happened with Lucid, you might want to let us know whether there are any sorts of feedback that you particularly want, or don't want - I can see that thoughts from us might drive the story in unexpected directions.

    It's good to hear about confirmation of the new job - it shows the administrative wheels are turning, albeit slowly.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete