Thursday 8 July 2010

Days or months?

I don't seem to be fated to having the benefit of a quick resolution to my work situation. I spoke to my manager this morning, the first time I've been able to get hold of him since receiving the phone call about the possibility of my moving temporarily on Monday, and the news was mixed, to say the least. It seems that it's in his mind that I won't be able to move to my new permanent job until October, because of a potential staff shortage due to annual leave various people are taking at the end of next month and into September, but that the staffing situation for the next 5 or 6 weeks is less problematic, so I may get a chance to move to my potential temporary placement for a few weeks, before having to come back to my present job for a few more weeks, and then finally moving permanently. A bit messy and complicated, but I'm prepared to take any chance that's going to get away from where I am now, even if only briefly.
My relationship with my wife has been reasonable of late, but there was another example of the underlying brittleness of things this afternoon. Neither of us has been at our best in recent days, with my downcast mood and her ongoing worries about her parents' and her own health, so it could be said that this afternoon was an accident waiting to happen. Most of our hiccups seem to be either directly or indirectly about money, and this was no exception - I made what I thought was a fairly inconsequential remark about having seen a gadget I thought might interest her in a catalogue, which prompted her to list various things that she considered more worthwhile targets for spending money on, which in turn led me to suggest that she was spending the extra money that will hopefully be coming our way soon before I've had the chance to earn it. All rather petty, it's fair to say, on both sides, but there do seem to be times when our holding any sort of conversation is like walking blindfold through a minefield, and about as much fun.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment