Wednesday 28 July 2010

Unblocked

Just under 24 hours ago, I was sitting in front of a blank 'New Post' screen, unable to think of anything to write about, apart from the blogsphere events of the weekend, which have probably been discussed in enough depth for the moment. (On that subject, I see Rowan has decided to take a break from Blogger for the moment, and as he's been one of those close to the epicentre of what's been going on, I can't say I blame him.) Today, however, I'm feeling a bit more articulate, even though nothing of any massive import has happened.
I had a visit from my boss's boss at work this morning, and left him in little doubt at my dissatisfaction at still being stuck where I am, but, in the manner of such situations, he had little beyond platitudes to offer. I've never had any great problems with dealing with those higher up the food chain than me in a managerial sense, but I've got even fewer problems dealing with this particular individual, because I've known him for over 20 years, going back to when we both worked in the Midlands in the late 1980's. I have no doubt that what I said this morning will have no bearing at all on my eventual transfer date, but at least I got it off my chest.
It was a fairly big day for my daughter today, in that she took her first trip into 'town' on her own. My wife was a bit edgy about the idea, but it all went pretty well - she's a sensible enough girl, and we're lucky enough to live in a relatively 'safe' part of the country, although I hasten to add that we're not complacent on that front, and made sure that she checked in with us a couple of times during her outing. The joys of mobile phones, of course, compared to when I was her age!
A new story for the other blog is well advanced in gestation - I was hoping to make a start on it this evening, but I've been up since 'stupid o'clock' this morning, and I've got a repeat performance tomorrow, meaning it's not going to happen now, but it's one of those that has come to mind 'ready-hatched', in plot terms, so I've every confidence that I'll get into it sometime over the next day or two.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. A big step for your daughter, and for her parents too. Cellphones are indeed a wonderful advancement for this sort of thing.

    I'll be watching for your new story. I hope it doesn't have a bad ending, lol. Glad you are no longer 'blocked'.

    Best wishes,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    I think you're right in saying children's steps towards independence are as much to do with the parents' issues as the child's! We try, with what degree of success I don't really know, to allow the 'spreading of wings' while providing a sensible degree of caution and protectiveness. It's not an easy balance, as I guess most parents would attest.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete