Sunday 27 March 2011

Clocks and departures

While I didn't have to go into work today, it didn't mean that I had anything resembling a lie-in, because my daughter was due to leave early this morning for a school exchange trip to Finland, which, allied to the fact that British Summer Time started today, with the clocks going forward an hour, meant that I got a grand total of about four hours sleep overnight. Needless to say, my daughter didn't have any trouble getting up, the excitement of anticipation easily overcoming her usual weekend tendency to stay in bed until the streets are well and truly aired. The weather she's going to be met with at her destination is, to put it mildly, bracing - the temperature isn't forecast to get above freezing point all week. Best of luck, young lady!
I did catch up on a couple of extra hours later in the morning, though, so my exhaustion levels have been kept within reasonable bounds, for once, although, in the end, I found myself rushing about a bit to be ready to leave in time myself to catch my train to London this afternoon. It proved to be a bit of a tortuous journey, because the train was diverted because of engineering work, adding an hour to what is already a pretty substantial trip, followed by a convoluted itinerary on the Underground because of their weekend work, finally ending up back in the same East London place as I stayed in a couple of weeks ago at around 8:00 this evening. At least the clock change meant that most of the journey was made in daylight, which always helps, so far as I'm concerned.
One major aim for this week is to sort out a more permanent place to stay, given that I'm expecting to be starting on the full roster from next weekend. I've seen one or two places online which I think will be worth following up, and being on earlies this week should give me the opportunity to go and have a look at anywhere suitable (read affordable!) that's within sensible commuting distance of my workplace. One slightly offbeat option I spotted a couple of days ago was tempting - renting a room on a boat on the Thames, but the set-up seemed a bit too much on the commune-ish side for my taste, so I've decided not to pursue that one. I'm not the most sociable of souls, as I've said before, so there's little point in committing myself to somewhere I'd have to 'muck in', much as the idea of living on the river appeals to me. A single bedsit, where I can lock my door and shut out the world whenever I feel the need is much more my thing, I'm afraid.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Good luck on your residence search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    Thank you - there's no shortage of places, but, London being London, some of the prices are more than a little on the ridiculous side. I'm sure something will fall into place.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your daughter will have a wonderful time in Finland, despite the cold. Lucky her!

    Good luck finding a decent place to live!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived on a boat for some years - but it was only me and the odd person I invited to stay (friends and family generally!)

    Obviously I found it an environment very much to my taste but it was not, in the immediate sense, communal living.

    There's lots of questions about sharing facilities and most who are not students can't hack it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jay
    I'm sure the cold will be the least of my daughter's concerns - she's just happy to be going away, as family holidays have been very thin on the ground lately.
    There may be something in the offing on the housing front - I should find out in the next 24 hours or so.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    I had a colleague a few years ago who lived on a barge, and loved it, but that was just him and his wife and young son.
    Shared facilities per se aren't a problem, it's who you share them with and how they're looked after (or, frequently, not) that's the issue. It's not for the obsessively fastidious, as you suggest!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete