Saturday 19 March 2011

Immured....and loving it!

Since I got home, around 11:00 last night, I haven't been out of the house. And, sad as it may seem, it's suiting me fine. Spending as much time as I do away, when I am here in Cornwall, rather than going out and taking advantage of the nice area we're lucky enough to live in, even on a nice day like today, all I seem to want to do is to curl up like some kind of hibernating animal in its den. The domiciliary equivalent of comfort eating, in a way. Once I get past my final assessment, which I'm pretty confident about, it could get even worse - I've been working Monday to Friday, for the most part, for the past few months, with most of my weekends off, whereas, from a fortnight tomorrow, I'll be on the full 24/7 roster, my first experience of which will be to work 10 days in a row, so that I suspect I'll be even more inclined to want to do little beyond rest and recuperation when I'm at home. I'm already looking forward to my first long weekend, 6 days off over the first weekend in May. Wishing my life away again.
Today has largely, as I suggest, been pretty congenial from my point of view. There has been a slight off-key element, though, and, once again it involves my interaction with my wife. This isn't a criticism of her, because, like me, she is what she is, and hasn't really changed very much in the time I've known her - almost 20 years - but it does underline the differences between us, and how it can lead to our talking at cross purposes on occasions. We don't have deep and meaningful conversations very often, because our interests are so disparate, so that when, this morning, I did start talking about one or two things, with a political slant, that I'd seen on the internet, for my wife to be so reluctant to engage was a distinct disappointment. It's not that I want her to slavishly agree with me, just to talk about something more mind-expanding than the contents of a homeware catalogue she'd picked up. She's an intelligent woman, but just doesn't seem to have the self-confidence, or self-esteem, to show what she's capable of. It leaves me frustrated, on her behalf far more than my own, that she should sell herself so short at times.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Yeah we had nice weather on Saturday too (I'm writing this on Sunday which hasn't been as sunny or quite as warm). We live in a pretty nice part of the world too (the Peak District of Derbyshire) and took the dog up one of our local hills which puts us into woodland with a fine view up and down the Derwent Valley - which is quite steep in parts.

    Glad you had a reasonably good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Micky
    We have been out and about today, albeit more for shopping than anything more exciting, the weather still being quite nice here. I need to make more of an effort to get around the area, really - it's too nice to just leave to the tourists!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete