Monday 28 March 2011

Serendipity, maybe

Back at work this morning, and, without wishing to count any proverbial chickens, I had an encounter which might turn out to be very beneficial. We had a visit during the shift, from a group of elderly ex-employees in the industry I work in. They're all residents of a retirement/care home, which used to be directly associated with the industry, but is now run by an independent charitable organisation. My manager was talking to the lady who had arranged the visit, and who works for the charity, close to where I was working, and I happened to hear her talking about a house which is in the grounds of the care home, some of whose rooms are rented out to people in the industry. Almost as a joke, I asked if she had any vacancies, and, to cut a long story short, I'm going over there tomorrow afternoon to have a look at the place. I've no idea whether the accommodation is available on a short-term or longer-term basis, or how much it might cost, but I'm certainly hoping it will be suitable, because it's within reasonable commuting distance of work - half an hour or so - by way of a direct train service. Pretty much what I've been looking for, so I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that there won't be any unforeseen pitfalls. Even if I'm only able to stay there for a few weeks or months, it would at least give me a base, and go some way towards mitigating the nomadic lifestyle I've been leading recently.
My daughter arrived safely in Finland - I had a text from her earlier, and my wife's had a phone call - and it seems, as expected, that she's enjoying herself, even if it is snowy and about 5 degrees below zero. The wintry stuff doesn't do anything for me, but each to their own!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Interesting the way things just sometimes fall into your lap! I hope the room works out, that sounds great. No driving constantly, and probably reasonable in price. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    Glad your daughter made it safely. I'm sure it will be a trip to remember. How long is she gone for?

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    My daughter is away for a week - she'll be back at home on Sunday evening, all being well.
    I'm certainly optimistic about the accommodation, but I'll wait until tomorrow before I get my hopes up too high!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Sammy

    Best of luck for your visit tomorrow - you could really do with some good news. I'd like to think that a charity still connected with your industry will try to be helpful to someone employed in that industry. Please let us know how it goes.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mark
    The lady I spoke to today said some encouraging things along the lines that you suggest in terms of 'helping their own', so, as I say, I'm hoping for the best, but without getting too carried away just yet!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the room turns out to be exactly what you are looking for, at a price you want to pay. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Brian
    Thanks for the good wishes, but it's all rather been overtaken by events. I'll write about it later.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete