Thursday 24 March 2011

End of the marathon....for now

It was with a sense of decided relief that I arrived back home at around 11:15 this morning, to bring my half-week of mega-commuting to an end. Predictably enough, it's left me feeling very tired and not 100% well - I've been full of sniffles again this week - but I have, at least, got a couple of days of R & R before it all starts again early on Sunday morning. One positive of my time on the train is that I managed to get the next chapter of Noctivagant  posted on 'Cuckoos' this morning. I want to try and keep the momentum of my writing going, because, having released a few chapters, I wouldn't want to leave the story hanging there unfinished.
I had an interesting conversation with one of my colleagues about 2:00 this morning, the subject matter of which surprised me considerably, and not in an unpleasant way. The man in question is a ex-soldier, around five years younger than me, a pretty rough and ready kind of person with forthright, rightwing-ish views on quite a number of issues, and, superficially, not the sort you might associate with much in the way of tolerance. It transpires, however, that the elder of his two sons, who's in his early twenties, is gay, and, despite the young man apparently having expected all sorts of dire consequences, possibly up to and including physical violence, when he came out to his dad as a 16 year old, he was greeted instead with a hug and a kiss, and reassurance that he would always be his father's son. With all the dire stories of bullying, rejection and suicide that have been aired recently, it's really nice for once to hear of a happy ending, and from, with all due respect to my colleague, a fairly unlikely source.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    It sounds like good news all round - a few days' relief for you, a new chapter of Noctivagant us, and a really positive outcome for your colleague and his son.

    Best of luck for a relaxing (early) weekend!

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    Certainly better than earlier in the week, although I suspect by the time I shake off the fatigue and the cold, it will be time to start all over again.
    The next chapter of Noctivagant might take a little bit longer, because I'm going to be working a new character into the story, and I want to make sure it all fits together reasonably logically. I'll try and make a start, at least, over the next couple of days.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY on all counts, Sammy! A couple of days off, and a wonderful story...Hope you're up for all the relaxing you'll get to do this weekend.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    I'm certainly hoping to make the most of today's potential for recharging the batteries - I've got to leave mid-evening tomorrow to get back in time for work early on Sunday, so today is my only completely clear day. I may even have to force myself to drink some Chardonnay later - it's a tough job, and all that!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are full of surprises aren't they? I never assume that a services or police background is going to help in understanding GLBT rights but the message is trickling down AND more people are having the guts to come out than ever used to be the case.

    It's not quite so often that we hear 'oh - er, you're the first gay people I've ever met'. Mind you - I've always been tempted to reply 'LIAR!'on the grounds that it's almost inconceivable that anyone hadn't met gay people before - they just didn't know.

    You really must try to take care of yourself better when away from home you know! Sure, it's easy not to eat properly and maybe not to sleep too well but these things are important and you'll enjoy life much more if you get some fresh air and eat well all the time, you know? Yeah - but we've been there and done that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    My colleague's revelation was a bit of an admonishment to me, in a way, not to judge people by appearances. I'm also interested as to why he chose to tell me - I've no idea whether his son's orientation is common knowledge or not, but, if not, why pick me as a confidante? Hopefully it's because I come across as liberal and tolerant, but who knows?
    Shift work isn't always conducive to the healthiest of lifestyles, but I usually don't do too badly. This week has been exceptional, though, in terms of the amount of travelling I've been doing. Luckily, I'm pretty resilient, and it doesn't take me too long to recover - I've had years of practise, after all!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete