Tuesday 22 March 2011

Travelling man

The combination of my being on nights with the continuing lack of a car or a London pied a terre has led to me doing some ludicrously long-distance commuting by train this week - I'm only working three days, followed by three days off, and I can, at least, top up my sleep on the train, so it's not as bad as it might have been. Beggars can't be choosers.
Yesterday's slough of despond has lightened a little, although that's probably more down to my coping a bit better than anything actually improving. For whatever reason, it all just seemed hopeless yesterday, and my mood went straight over the edge into near despair. I've got to cope, I've no choice, because it's not just my well-being that's at stake.
There are almost always brighter moments, too - I got to speak, unexpectedly, to my daughter this morning, when she rang my mobile by accident while she was on her way to school, the weather has been nice, even if I haven't had any free time to speak of to enjoy it, and I saw two absolute grade one cuties on the way to the station an hour or so ago. Crumbs of comfort, you could say, but better than no comfort at all.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. If it brightens your day, you should get in the habit of calling and talking to your daughter at least briefly every morning. I expect she would appreciate it too. If nothing else, just tell her you love her.

    That's an advantage of riding the train: you can't sleep while driving a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Sammy

    I've just looked at the train timetable - ouch! No wonder you're topping up sleep on the train. I imagine that your three days off will come as quite a relief.

    I'm glad to hear that things have brightened up somewhat for you - yesterday sounded pretty grim.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an interesting commercial here that shows a young boy webcamming with his dad...eating Oreos! Perhaps a webcam "date" with your daughter would be possible.

    In any case, glad you're feeling better. Sometimes, the small things mean the most! YAY!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brian, Mark and Jay
    I've thankfully bounced back a bit from Monday's seemingly bottomless pit - the trick now is to try and maintain the improvement.
    I do speak to my wife, and usually my daughter, daily while I'm away, but a little 'bonus' chat like yesterday's never comes amiss.
    The travelling this week is a bit grim, but it's a definite 'one-off' - I've got no intention of doing anything like it unless it's completely unavoidable.
    My daughter has got a webcam, and has used it to chat to her friends occasionally, but it's not really quite my thing, I don't think - it's something to bear in mind, though.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete