Wednesday 16 March 2011

David, the heartbreaker

Not that it was his fault, mind you. On my cross-London tube journey to work at lunchtime, I was meandering along the District Line when a school party, evidently from some relatively upmarket private school, joined the train at Westminster. 10 or 12 boys, all around 11 or 12 years old, and a couple of teachers. I started to peruse the boys, as is my wont, but was quickly brought up very short. Light brown tousled hair, light tan skin colouration, the shape and setting of eyes, nose and mouth - he was so like DBJ two or three years ago. Not identical twin alike, but very reminiscent, just the same, the sort of likeness where you wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a cousin, or even a half-brother, something of that order. It took all my self-control not to let my emotions get the better of me, but there was a good deal of inward groaning, the sort of 'of all the carriages, on all the tube trains, in all of London, he has to get onto mine' kind of reaction. The party travelled all the way to the end of the line, too, the same stop I was heading for, so I had plenty of time to mope over the situation, and what I not so much lost, except in an eye candy way, but what I never had and would so loved to have had. And yes, today's boy was called David - one of his friends asked him a question and used his name, then one of the teachers also addressed him by that name when the boys were being organised to get off of the train. Not an encounter, overall, that's exactly made my day.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the curse of the romantic in Spring, eh Sammy? Be well, my friend.
    -randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Randy
    Unrequited love, in any season, is one of those things that can leave you feeling a mess. Having had several Springs, Summers, Autumns & Winters of it, every time DBJ walked past, I know plenty about it. For someone who looked like his little brother (if he'd had one - he's the only boy in a family of four children) to then turn up out of the blue, 230-odd miles away wasn't an experience I'd have chosen, ideally. Like most things, though, I'll get over it.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'It is better to have loved and to have lost than never to have loved at all' and though you may wish that you'd never set eyes on the boy there is a sweetness to be taken from the encounter if you can but get over the tartness which is currently your poison.

    It's a bit like a really good 'sweet and sour chicken' (or whatever) - where you get a taste of the sour vinegar (the masochistic bit you're putting yourself through here) whereas what we really like is the sweet fruit of admiration, delight and love.

    Enjoy David for what he is - a very attractive boy without whom the world would surely be a less lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    What you say is unarguable, and in 99.9% of cases I would just have enjoyed the view, but to trip over someone, in such unlikely circumstances, who so resembled the boy I've spent the last three or four years helplessly smitten by was all a bit much. A day on, though, and it's just another tiny piece of history, albeit one remembranced here.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete