Saturday 5 March 2011

OK, let's give it a go

I've spent a good few hours today working on my story, and I've decided, having finally found what I believe is a viable way of splitting the overblown Chapter 2 into two more manageable chunks (hereafter known as Chapters 2 & 3!), to publish what I've done so far in 'Cuckoos'. It's only a first draft as yet, but I think it has some slight merit - but then, I would, wouldn't I!
I've never tried, as I think I've said before, to turn my daughter into 'Mini-Me', but I'm sure I've had some influence on her attitude to life, so I wasn't entirely taken aback by something she told me this evening, She has a Tumblr, and made a point of telling me about something she'd reblogged - a litany of unflattering statistics about marriage and divorce, rounded off by the ironic punchline '....so same-sex marriage will obviously destroy the fabric of society', or words to that effect. Good girl, is all I have to say, especially as she isn't at all attracted to the idea of a gay relationship - 'Ewwww' pretty much sums up her take on the issue. If I can look at myself in the mirror and say I've encouraged her to be tolerant, even to things she herself finds unappealing, I'll give myself credit for something worthwhile as a parent.

Thank you very much to Micky for becoming my latest follower - I hope to see you once again making your own valuable contribution to blogland very soon.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. It would seem that you've raised a proper daughter there, Sammy. I think it is just a matter of time before same sex marriage is legal in the states - Obama's directive not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act is a decent step forward. With luck, a few judges will strike it down as unconstitutional, and the haters can cry all they want.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a sea-change in attitudes among young people. In most places the default position is accepting of gays; homophobes generally find themselves visibly in the minority. Contrast the freedom with which the taunt "pedo" is thrown about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay
    My daughter is a good person, and has always been mature beyond her years, the result of being an intelligent only child who's spent a larger than average proportion of her life in adult company, I guess.
    I certainly hope you're right about same-sex marriage, because, as I see it, it's a simple matter of equality. No-one would think a law preventing two left-handed people marrying anything other than ludicrous, so why should gender be regarded differently? Love is love is love, and should be able to be expressed without fear of discrimination.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Billy
    I would certainly like to think that tolerance of diversity in general would be the default position for the world, and maybe my daughter's generation are fated to be the ones that bring it to fruition. There's at least one openly gay (female) teacher at my daughter's school, and she just seems to be regarded as 'part of the furniture', barely even worthy of comment.
    'Paedophile' just seems to be a generic insult of choice these days, as far removed from the correct definition of the word as 'bastard' when used as a pejorative, encouraged by the rabble-rousing haters in politics, religions and the media who love an easy target, one that can be kicked without fear of offending 'right-minded' people, to make it look as though they're 'doing something' in response to social issues.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the welcome - it's nice here!

    Don't know about trusting Google or Nibblebit/Wordpress/Sensual Writer with my thoughts and deeds so maybe Tumblr is the only remaining option which everyone has heard of.

    No immediate plans - but thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    I can easily understand why, after what happened to your blogs, and with so little justification, you are reluctant to start again. I think I've got the sort of bloody-minded streak that would put my blog back up again just to stick two fingers up to the 'powers-that-be', but whether that perception would survive my blog actually being nuked is a moot point.
    Thanks for reading and commenting, it's much appreciated.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete