Tuesday 15 March 2011

Eastender

Not I hasten to add, because of suddenly becoming a fan of the long-running BBC soap opera! I'm in yet another new port of call for this week, across in East London - not ideal, in terms of accessibility from work, but the price was right - or nearer to being right - and the room itself is fine, quiet (so far, at least, not wishing to tempt fate!) and with all the requisite basic facilities working adequately.
My nomadic lifestyle has taken a turn for the yet more awkward this week, because my car is temporarily hors de combat until I can get the money together to get it through its MOT, so I'm reliant on public transport. Not that I mind travelling by train and bus, but the journey up from Cornwall takes the best part of an hour longer, due to the lack of door-to-door convenience as much as anything else. This should, I hope, only be an issue for a few weeks, but we'll see what happens.
I am now within touching distance of finally getting onto the full roster - one more competence assessment, in just over a fortnight, and I should be a fully fledged and certificated operative in my new job. It's all taken rather longer than I would ideally have liked, but I have had three weeks' annual leave and two weeks on the sick, as well as a week and a half off over Christmas and New Year, since arriving at my new workplace at the end of September, so that probably explains the long and drawn-out process as much as anything. Hopefully, once I do get onto the full panoply of weekend and night shift working, as well as the much greater chance of being offered overtime, the process of repairing our tottering finances can begin in earnest.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are ok. I'd die without my truck. There is zero public transportation in my area - how dumb is that? Stupid silly traffic loads, high petrol prices, and not a bus in sight (except for the rich folks who can afford to drive if they wish)...but nothing that would help cut my weekly commuting bill.

    Good luck on the assessments!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    At least there's no problem with public transport in London - the place is awash with buses, tubes and trains! Even back home, we're not too badly off - as long as we want to go to the city centre, there aren't many buses going anywhere else - so I'll manage without my car pro tem, even if it's not an ideal situation. I'll certainly save some money on fuel, if nothing else!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy B - you can just pat yourself on the back and think how green you are! I mean - why anyone would need a car in London beats me! When you do get it organised again why not leave it at the train station in Cornwall to be ready to drive 'home'?

    And @ Jay - ha ha! you guys in the US don't know what 'high' petrol costs are! Ours is taxed so much it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    Virtue perforce, I'm afraid - I'd use the car if I was able to, at least for the round trip from home, although not around and about in Greater London, unless unavoidable. I'm with you on the 'high fuel costs' - I wholeheartedly wish we were paying the same prices as out transatlantic friends!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete