Sunday 13 March 2011

Spring has almost sprung....hopefully

It's been a nice, relatively warm and sunny day today - it could be that this seemingly interminable winter is finally on its way out. Not wishing to tempt fate, of course - we had snow in early April, even down here in Cornwall, two or three years ago. I went shopping at lunchtime, and I have to admit that I was hoping that the sunshine might have brought a few cuties out, but it was a pretty barren afternoon from that point of view, both out on the streets and once I'd got to the supermarket. Oh well, you can't have everything, can you?
I've tried to make some progress with 'Noctivagant' over the weekend, but I haven't achieved more than a handful of paragraphs. It's not, I think, due to a loss of momentum, though - I've still got plenty of ideas for directions for the story, within the overall plot structure - it's more been due to competing interests taking precedence, most notably catching up with the late season winter sport coverage. Good old Eurosport, the unwitting thief of my time winter after winter. Just how many winters has been brought home to me today - the world-class Finnish ski jumper, Janne Ahonen, retired after today's competition, at the age of 33. I can remember watching him compete in his first World Cup season, as a very young looking 14 year old! I was younger then than he is now! I can hardly believe how quickly the years have seemed to pass. Is that a sign of incipient old age? Very likely!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

8 comments:

  1. Yes, autumn has arrived here. My favourite season, lots of cool, sunny, still days here. Footy season starts in a fortnight. I went for a ride on my bike up the river valley one evening during the week, and on oval after oval footy training had grounds swarming with boys and men from early teens to early thirties, being athletic and many being topless in the warm afternoon sun.
    Keep riding, Billy. Don't stare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billy
    I'm with you - I can resist anything except temptation! I don't ride a bike, but there have been occasions when I've been sorely distracted while driving, fortunately not to the detriment of safety - yet!
    I'm looking forward to the footy season, in a masochistic sort of way - another season of heroic failure for the Saints is on the cards, I suspect!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had spring weather, too, and cleaned my deck, took rubbish to the dump, and spent time with friends this weekend. I've had a great weekend.

    I love winter sports. Olympics, World Championships, all that, and participating in amateur pursuits. But I'm tired of winter this year.

    I don't follow a lot of sports, but I am hoping to go to some local baseball games and take pictures. Fun!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    This winter does seem to gone on for ever and a day, and I, like you, will be glad to see the back of it. Glad you've enjoyed your weekend.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was sunny in the Peak District as well - never mind Cornwall!

    Pete and I got out too - taking the Former Bitch up to the woods on Saturday and taking ourselves out exploring east of Chesterfield.

    Generally I don't do 'east' - it's far too flat - and windy - for my liking. I prefer upland or hilly places really so this was a bit of a foreign land.

    Mind you - we did see our first daffodils of the spring in a sheltered part of the woods yesterday - and there were a few guys out doing fun things in the nice weather. Perhaps they breed them a little more hardy around here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    I know the northern edge of the Peak District fairly well, because we lived on that side of Greater Manchester before we moved to Cornwall - nice part of the world, if you can cope with the uncertain(!) weather. The Lamb at Chinley was a favourite lunching spot before my daughter came along to clip our wings a bit!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it was sunny everywhere except yorkshire? Well darn you all, we got a full five minutes of sunshine :P
    Winter has been going on for ever, I'd like to join the petition for not having another one? :P

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello JJ
    Sign me up for that petition straight away - if I never see another snowflake or iced up car windscreen for the rest of my life, that would suit me fine. Only the weekend after next until the clocks go forward too, another morale booster, certainly for me.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete