Wednesday 18 May 2011

Bad

I've just had a big teary-eyed moment, courtesy of Planet Rock. Each weekday at 3:00, they play three songs by the same band, today's band being U2. I've been a fan of U2 virtually since they first appeared in the UK, in around 1979/1980, first coming across them playing I Will Follow (one of the three songs just played on the radio) on a children's TV programme, of all places - don't ask me how I came to be watching the programme, given that I was around 20 at the time, I really can't remember!
Much as I love I Will Follow, one of the all-time best Track One, Side One songs, in my opinion (from the album with absolutely the best cover artwork, ever, ever - Boy - the most beautiful portrait photograph in the history of the world!), it wasn't that song that set off my lachrymose few minutes - it was my favourite song ever, Bad. I can listen to the song without getting too emotional, but what made the difference today was the mention that was made of the performance of the song at Live Aid in 1985. I remember so clearly watching that performance on TV - one of those 'Where were you when...?' moments of my life. I was at work, doing a 12 hour day shift (some things never change!) - I can't say exactly where, because it would give away what I still do for a living, but suffice it to say that it was an extremely unlikely place for me to have been watching Live Aid, not least because watching TV on duty was an absolutely cardinal sin - I'd taken my very small black and white portable in with me that day - and also because where I was working that day was vastly busier than it would normally have been on a Saturday afternoon, and, unusually for that particular location, I wasn't on my own, there being three others there with me. I came so close to absolutely losing it that day as well, as U2 (again, IMHO!) produced by far the best performance of any of the bands in the whole event, Bad being the ultimate highlight of one of the highest profile musical events ever, for me, anyway.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I love U2! Awesome music, and I remember the concert. I was about 26 in 1985. Back then, my life was TV, so I was able to put the shop TV on the "other" channel and watch the concert until I was off work and then finished it off when I got home. Cool post!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I spent a lot of that day watching Live Aid, firstly at work, and then, in the evening back at home. It was a truly memorable day.
    U2, as I said, have been a passion for most of my adult life - I've been lucky enough to see them live four times, the last time in Manchester in 2005. Some great days, without a doubt.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete