Sunday 8 May 2011

It's about the oldest cliché in the book, but....

....there are times when I'm convinced that my wife doesn't understand me, at all. I suppose that the fact that there are fundamental things about me that she doesn't know can't help the situation, but there are things that I know she knows, because I've told her more than once, that she just doesn't seem to grasp the significance of. After the gradually deteriorating standard of my efforts at practical matters yesterday, I hit a very low point this afternoon, when, having taken the black ink cartridge out of our computer printer to check its details preparatory to buying a replacement, I couldn't work out how to put it back in again. I got thoroughly frustrated and annoyed with myself, and expressed my frustration in rather severely self-deprecatory fashion. It could be said that it was all a bit childish, but the one aspect of my life which I have pride in consistently is my intelligence, and I really find it hard to come to terms with when I feel I've done something that makes me look stupid. My wife is, or certainly should be, well aware of this, so her lack of empathy when I was getting wound up made matters even worse, with her accusing me, not for the first time, of 'having a go at her' when I pointed out that she wasn't getting the reason for my irritation with myself being the icing on the proverbial cake.
I'm only telling the tale from my perspective, of course, and my wife would probably tell it differently, if she had a comparable forum, and things, as usual when we have our differences of opinion, settled down fairly readily. A storm in a teacup, perhaps, but indicative of the stresses and strains that always seem to be just beneath the surface in our relationship.

Thank very much you to Larry for becoming my latest follower.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when that happens. It's happened to me many times. I opened up a brand new transceiver one night to remove a component that allowed it to be used outside its "specifications". I reassembled the radio. It would not turn on. I was physically sick. Brand new, just out of the box. Now dead, thanks to me. Fortunately no one to turn it onto themselves. But a friend suggested a course of action which showed me the mistake I'd made. Whew!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    It should be easy, but it isn't, and then when you get what appears to be criticism, or at least lack of understanding of why you're getting wound up, it just seems to make it ten times worse, at least for me. No-one died, so I shouldn't make too much of it, I guess, but it is symptomatic of a long standing problem between us.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear your wife's side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brian
    Not very likely, sadly, because she's convinced herself she can't 'do computers'. I'm sure, as I said in the post, that she'd see things differently, though.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really don't think it's anything at all to do with her being your wife or you her husband. It's quite simply that when two or three are gathered together there will always be rampant 'misunderstandings' or rather 'misalignments' of this sort. And what's more I'm sure it gets worse after we pass that 'certain age'!

    So, much as it grieves me to say it, I see no hope at all that things might ever change.

    Oh - and I'm just fine taking things apart but completely inept at putting them back to together again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Micky
    You're right in saying misunderstandings are inevitable, but when effectively the same misunderstanding happens on a regular basis, it can get more than usually frustrating, for me at least. And I'm certain that my wife finds me a thoroughly irritating sod at time, too, probably completely justifiably!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete