Tuesday 17 May 2011

Dad

It's one of my work colleagues' birthday today, as we found out in the early hours of this morning, which has got me thinking about my dad, because he would have been 85 today, had he still been alive. Sadly, he didn't even make it to 60 - he died in March 1986, at only 59, just a few months after taking early retirement, after 45 years of being a coal miner. Scant reward for such a life.
I hope what I'm going to say isn't going to sound too mawkish, or too tinted by rose-coloured glasses, but he was the nicest man I've ever met. Calm, patient, loving, good company, hard-working, a good husband and father. Far, far nicer than me, that's a certainty. For years after he died, I missed him all the time, even though I'd already left home and didn't actually see him all that often, and, even though time does heal to a point, I still miss him now. I do try, as far as I can, to follow his example as a father, if nothing else. Whether I succeed is really for my daughter to say, probably after I'm dead and gone myself. I hope she'll be able to say that I did something she found beneficial, and that, if she chooses to have children of her own, she can pass on the benefit to the next generation. That, at least, would be some kind of legacy, for me, and for my dad.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. It's nice that you have good memories of your father, and a real shame he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    Yes, a thoroughly good man lost to the world before his time.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. as Brian said - its a shame he died so young. but what's on the agenda nowadays? People have to work longer in their life - here in Germany till 67 - before they can retire. Is that fair?
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guten Tag Nikki
    My dad's early retirement was on health grounds - the heart condition that eventually killed him. It would have been nice if he could have enjoyed some more quality time after all of his years of hard work, something which applies to everyone, in my opinion. I'm not planning to work past 60 (nine years away), but that depends on the overall financial situation. I could end up working to 67, or later, if finances dictate.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete